9: Weak

In an instant, Hao Ran dropped to his knees.

I smirked. It's really shocking. This kind of deadly attack.. how can it belong to a nine-years old sickly kid?

"Captain Hao, you should watch what you say." Brushing my fingertip to my oh-so gorgeous neck, I added: "Or else, it might cost your life."

As if we're rivals in love, my octopus eyes clashed with Hao Ran's crab eyes.

I glared back at him. 'You dare covet my kitten! Treacherous official! Off with your head!'

The room was filled with killing intent apparently coming from our symbolic second male lead and this villainess surprisingly stood her ground.

'Back off! You're no match for this princess!'

Hao Ran looked at me like he's seeing a 'spoiled princess' pink sticky-@note plastered on my forehead. He gritted his teeth, his anger building. His hands clenching and unclenching as if he's trying not to reach out to me, to grab me and smack my butt.

'Good god. This child's temper is no joke.'

Six years from now, this brave soldier will become one of the greatest general under the command of the Duke of Yulan; a highly capable person and the empire called him the most outstanding military strategist in this era.

This teenager don't know how to show mercy to those who tried to harm the Crown Prince.

'That's why he killed me. This punk!'

"Hao Ran."

In contrast to Kai's previous deadly attack, his small voice sounded as if.. tickling us: "You have shown discourtesy to the p-princess."

As the kitten struggled to sit up from the bed; a grimace distorted his pouted mouth. He sank back quickly against the pillow.

The friend zoned second male lead shifted his eyes from me to the Tāizí (*Crown Prince/ Supreme Son); hiding his bloodlust as quickly as lightning.

"Punish me Your Highness. I have committed a sin deserving death."

After witnessing the changes in Hao Ran's temperament, I was almost filled with admiration for him.

"This subject.. beg the princess' forgiveness." I can only imagine the disgust he felt as he uttered those words to me.

I pondered for a moment. It would be troublesome if news come out and reach the Grand Empress Dowager'ears about the unusual actions of the Taízì.

How can a little child be a killer? Such skill..

Thinking that this might also affect the script, I pressed my temple for the upcoming headache.

"Go back to Yulan."

"Tell the Duke that he don't need to worry." I paused for a moment. "As you can see, His Royal Highness the Crown Prince is safe. I will take care of him myself."

Hao Ran's expression tightened. If looks could kill, I'd be dead right now.

"Yes."

When Du Kai fell asleep again after taking his meal and medicine; I run back to my palace as if my life depended on it.

'I escaped the male lead at last!'

'Ah, my old bones.'

Abao arranged a splendid dinner for me. This hungry villainess couldn't be happier. I don't know. Stress eating is the only way I know how to managed the stress inside the palace these days; using delicious food to soothe my poor soul.

As soon as I finished my dinner, I was stripped bare and thrown into a bathtub to be washed thoroughly by a group of palace maids. Royal families built elaborate baths and took enjoyment from them. Good hygiene is life.

A satisfied sigh escaped my lips. My body automatically relaxed under the 10 star-rate massages of the maids.

Soaking my whole body to warm water full of flower petals and mixed with navy bean powder, five scented dried plants, medicinal herbs etc; which not only clean the body but nourish the skin.

That night, I had a dream.

I dreamed about my late parents in the original world. My mother's constant nagging and her famous broomstick. My father's doting smile as he blocked mother from hitting me.

Since I was young, my weird parents already taught me what happen next after death or what should I do, if they suddenly left me. That's why I grow up thinking I might be adopted. I always thought they're teaching me this because my silly parents will abandon me someday.

As a kid I cried with various silly reasons; then Mom would smacked my butt more with her broomstick and scolded me nonstop.

"We're poor. So you can't cry."

Ah, I think it's my family's motto.

"My classmate's dog died. Aw! Ma! It hurts!"

"You're not allowed to cry. Even at my funeral or your father's funeral, you brat.. aren't allowed to cry. It would lessen your beauty."

"I want my daughter to marry a rich man. You must grow up as a beauty."

"Just look what happened to me? Why did I marry your poor father? I regret it. I regret it all. Love? Pei! Love can't be eaten.. bla.. bla.."

I think I already memorized Mom's script after years of listening to them. As always, Dad would cut apples at the side, later he'll feed it to Mom with his usual caring smile and apologetic eyes.

"Pa, please divorce Mom. I'll go with you."

My father laughed while handing me a slice of apple. "Just help Papa, okay? Listen to your mother."

"Pa! How can you betray your own daughter like this?!"

The dream ended and I woke up at the panicked voice of someone outside the door.

I grumbled. "Abao."

My personal attendant entered my bedroom. "Yes."

I touched my temple. "What is it?"

"The Crown Prince.. when he woke up and found you gone, the Crown Prince throws a tantrum."

"Prepare my palanquin."

"Your Highness, this.." Her eyes were telling me not to pity the enemy.

"Abao, you heard me."

"Yes."

The trip to the Crown Prince palace was short.

"P-princess?" The kitten immediately reached over and hugged me. "Princess, you're here. I.. dont feel well."

Kai appeared weak and frail. His continuous coughing were bothering me a bit. Did the male lead catch a summer cold? I touched his forehead and his neck. He was having a fever.

"I won't cry. Please, don't leave me."