25

[Chapter twenty-five]

-Winnie-

I had never been one to overthink things.

Especially not things such as liking some guy.

But Adonis is not just some guy.

And that honestly scares the shit out of me.

It's times like this I really wish I could talk to my mum. I can't talk to dad about it because he'll probably shoot Adonis. And I certainly don't want that.

So the next best thing it is.

"Uncle Max, my favourite person in the whole entire world—"

"I know that line," he cuts me off, standing in the doorway and staring down at me standing on his front porch at midday on a Sunday. "Who do you like?"

I blink. "How the hell—"

"I said the exact same thing to your mom when I asked her for advice about Megan." He explains to me, a small, sad smile curling on his lips. He opens the door wider and steps out of the way. "I'm not as good at the advice thing as Vaeh was but I just bought a couple boxes of Eggos this morning. Maybe it'll help me manifest some brain cells or something."

I snort, kicking my shoes off and walking inside, my eyes flickering to the TV then back to Uncle Max, my eyebrows raising slightly. "Under the Red Hood?"

"Shut up." He points a finger at me, reaching for the remote and turning it off. "Blame your mother."

A chuckle leaves my mouth as I follow him to the kitchen and sit down at the island, watching as he pops a couple waffles into the toaster before turning around and leaning against the counter with crossed arms and a stern face.

"Where's Aunt Megan and Kam?"

"Mall. Mother-daughter bonding." He states and I can't help but feel envy swirl in my stomach. "Now who is this boy—or girl? Are they—"

"He's a boy." I tell him. "It's Adonis."

"Adonis?" Max repeats, arms dropping and his stern expression melting away. "The new cop's little brother?"

"He's not new anymore, Uncle Max." I snicker when he burns his fingers while taking the Eggos out of the toaster and putting them on a plate. He tosses me a nasty glare over his shoulder, which turns into a slight pout when I laugh out loud. "They've been here for like six months now."

"Whatever," he waves me off, pouring two glasses of milk and bringing them over with the plate. I quickly thank him, grabbing one of the four waffles and taking a bite, burning my mouth in the process. I catch the far away look in his eye as he studies me, but choose not to comment on it. He's still the most sensitive to mum's death, along with dad. He quickly shakes himself out of his thoughts, taking a waffle for himself. "So, you like pretty boy?"

"Yes, and I don't know what to do!" I exclaim, my knee coming up and bumping the edge of the table. "Ow!"

Uncle Max laughs loudly. "Karma's a bitch, you little shit!"

"Don't make me tell Aunt Megan on you."

That makes him stop laughing in an instant. "Alright, how may I help you?"

"What do I do?!"

"In the wise words of my baby momma, 'Stop being a pussy and tell her'—er, him."

My eyebrows shoot up. "Aunt Megan said that?!"

Max furrows his eyebrows, shoving the rest of his waffle in his mouth. "Megan? No, Nevaeh's my baby momma."