20

[Chapter twenty]

-Winnie-

"Fuck, fuck, fuck." I mumble as Adonis pulls the the jeep into my driveway. My heart beats painfully fast in my chest as I swallow the lump in my throat. We quickly hop out of the car, rushing up to my front door, gulping when we see Braeden's car also parked in the driveway. Fuck. "What time is it now?"

"Eleven twenty-two." Adonis whispers back, his bottom lip pulled between his teeth nervously. We were meant to be home an hour ago.

"They're gonna kill us." I mutter to him, wringing my hands, not wanting to put my hand on the doorknob, let alone open the door. My heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest.

Oh my god, I'm having heart palpitations.

"Shut up, idiot. I don't wanna die." He kicks my foot roughly. "Now open the door."

"You open the door."

"No, you."

"No, you!"

"No, you!"

"No, y—"

"Stop arguing about who's going to open the door, and get your asses inside!" We jump in fright when we hear Braeden's deep voice yelling at us from inside.

Adonis purses his lips, looking down at me. "They're gonna kill us."

"No, shit!" Dad's voice yells back. "Winnie already said that, genius!"

Adonis and I share one more look before slowly opening the door and trudging inside, seeing Braeden leaning against the back of the couch in a relaxed fashion, and dad with his arms crossed over his chest, standing up straight.

I chuckle sheepishly, not being able to keep my mouth shut. "Good cop, bad cop, who?"

"Where the hell were you two?" Dad interrogates, ignoring my comment. His body is tense and expression annoyed. "You were meant to be home an hour and twenty minutes ago."

"That's oddly specific." Adonis points out, quickly shutting his mouth as dad glares at him.

"You want oddly specific? You idiots were supposed to be home one hour, twenty-two minutes, and fifty-three seconds ago." Dad retorts, his face still twisted in annoyance as he uncrosses his arms. "Now where the hell were you?"

"Wherever the hell you two were," Braeden starts from his position against the couch, hands shoved in his pockets as he stares between Adonis and I with raised eyebrows and a slight smirk on his face. "I hope you used protection."

Dad clenches his jaw. "Shut up, West."

Braeden immediately wipes the smirk off his face and stands up straight, removing his hands from his pockets when dad gives him a glare. "Yes, sir."

"Calm down, Dad. The vein in your neck is about to burst." I remark, again without thinking.

"Winnie, shut up!" Adonis whines, before his eyes widen slightly in realisation. "Actually, keep going. Then he'll kill you instead of me."

*~*

-Adonis-

Grounded. That's what Winnie and I are. Grounded.

Mr. King yelled at us for a straight twenty minutes -with my stupid brother adding his two cents here and there- before letting us go.

I sigh and turn my head to face Braeden when I see him glancing at me out of the corner of his eye as he drives us home.