Chapter 1

Ally's P.O.V

"My name is Sergeant Ally Hernandez-Ogletree and I am the leading detective of the Harmonized Unit within the New York City Police Department. We specialize in extreme cases and considering that my four detectives are all female, women usually play a big role in them. We can relate to them in ways that men simply can't."

The man temporarily filling in for my boss looked at me with curiosity in his eyes as if I wasn't telling the truth.

"Sergeant Hernandez, could you run me some background on your detectives?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

I shifted in my seat. "I'll start with Detective Lauren Jauregui. She's been working with me for almost five years now. Before she came to New York, she was a police officer for the Miami Police Department. I took a trip down there and noticed her rather great ability to point out things that most people can't see right away. She has a natural gift of reading body language-"

I was cut off by the man. "And who is Detective Jauregui's partner?"

I pushed the annoyance to the back of my head and continue to look him square in the eye, making sure that I didn't lose eye contact.

"That would be my longest working detective Normani Kordei. She came to me seven years ago from Texas and has produced some outstanding work. She acts off of emotion. She's great with sensing people and getting under their skin. That usually helps us win most cases."

I made sure that he wasn't going to say anything before speaking on. "Detective Camila Cabello is our technical person. She's incredible with technology and can help us trace people quicker than you know. This is her first year with the Harmonized Unit but I have no complaints whatsoever."

"And her partner is Detective Dinah Jane Hansen. This is her second year with me and let me tell you now, this one is definitely a keeper. She's really good with undercover and even better with physical circumstances. She's the toughest one I've got." I finished.

"And tell me Sergeant, are you or any of your detectives married with families?" I raised my eyebrow at him and bit my lip.

"That's classified information Mr..." I kept making the "r" sound until he told me his name.

"Officer Xavier Collins," He addressed himself, " and I need to know this information especially considering the fact that I am temporarily in charge while your boss is having heart surgery."

"None of my detectives are married or in relationships that I am aware of. I'm the only one with a ring on my finger. My.... my husband and I are expecting our first child soon." I hesitated a bit before finishing my sentence, trying to figure out if Officer Collins was a good first person to tell or not.

He nodded and gave me a sinister smile. "Ah, the job of a woman eh? Well Detective Hernandez, I'm afraid I'll have to give you some rather unfortunate information. We have taken on a case of a missing thirty four year old woman and her missing daughters-ages eight and nine. Since you're pregnant, you aren't allowed to work on this one."

"What- why? I'm only two months along- I'm not even showing for goodness sake! This is a normal case for the Harmonized Unit! It's a woman and two little girls! Why can't I take part?" I asked, highly annoyed and offended at the same time.

"It is my wife and daughters that are missing. I have made a lot of enemies in my line of work Sergeant. The fact that my family is gone already has me worked up. I know how your husband would feel If you were to just disappear along with your unborn child. So it isn't anything against you Detective," Officer Collins stood to his feet and gave a nod of acknowledgment, "but I'm just taking safety precautions."