Chapter 3

Normani's P.O.V

We were out of breath, watching the fire take over the abandoned apartment complex that Lauren and I had just rescued Avia from. I was so grateful that we made it out alive.

The nine year old with the blonde hair and baby blue eyes focused on the fire way more than Lauren and I. It was like she was connected to something about that building.

"Avia?" I called, breaking her out of her silence. She looked up abruptly. I continued talking. "My name is Normani and this is my partner Lauren. We're going to take you back to the station where your daddy is okay?"

She shook her head wildly and I could see the tears beginning to form in her eyes. "What's wrong sweetheart?" Lauren asked, bending down so that she was leveled with the child.

Avia looked away and bit her fingernails. I noticed that Lauren's eyes grew big and that happened every time she noticed body language. "You can tell me Avia. Normani and I are nice people. We aren't going to tell on you or get you in trouble, okay?"

Avia took in a long breath and glanced between Lauren and I one last time.

"My daddy- he's a bad man." She said in a whisper, never making eye contact with either of us again.

I looked down at Lauren and she raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Does he hit you, Avia?" I asked, bending down as well to get on a more personal level with her.

She bit her lip and moved back, trying to get as far away as possible from us. I stood straight up again and moved my hand behind her back gently to stop her from walking away.

"Does he hit you honey?" Lauren asked again, standing straight up as well.

Hesitantly, Avia shook her head and looked at me. "He doesnt hit me. Hit hits my mommy and Lynn."

Lauren and I looked at each other at the same time with anger in our eyes. It could've been as simple as his wife running away out of fear and taking her two daughters with her for protection. They probably weren't even missing- just escaping.

I pulled her in for a hug. "Okay honey, you are going to come with Lauren and I okay? We're not going to take you to your daddy just yet."

*****

We arrived at Ally's large house in the rural areas of New York City- which is very rare among such an urban area. Lauren pulled into the driveway while Avia slept quietly in the backseat.

We had gotten a phone call from Dinah saying that we should bring her there because of a slight problem. We already knew though because Avia disclosed to us.

Lauren shut off the car and leaned far back in her seat, rubbing her forehead in frustration. "I don't see how anyone could be that cruel to their wife and kids."

I reached forward and grabbed her hand gently in my own.

"It's going to be okay Lauren. We're going to get justice." I promised her.

She gave me a small hopeful smile, squeezed my fingers tightly, and winked at me. "I know Mani. I'll get her out of the back."

Sooner than later, we were at Ally's front door. After four knocks, Camila answered. "Took you long enough." She said jokingly, her eyes pitifully focused on the sleeping girl in Lauren's arms.

I held the door open long enough for Lauren to walk through and shut it once she was all the way inside. "Well it's not our fault that Ally lives out in the booney's." I joked back, taking my shoes off and sniffing the air that smelled like fresh chocolate chip cookies.

We followed Camila into the back and saw Ally, Dinah, and Lynn sitting at the dinner table with chocolate cookies sitting in the middle.

The child with curly brown hair and hazel eyes grew wide eyed and her mouth dropped open. "Avia!" She yelled loud enough to startle the girl in Lauren's arms awake.

Avia's head popped up and she rubbed her eyes to make sure that she wasn't dreaming. Lauren set her down gently and she ran towards her sister. "Lynn!"

They embraced in a hug and it seemed as if they were never going to let go. It was so cute and a part of me wished that their reunion was under different circumstances.

After they held each other for long enough, Ally spoke up. "Lynn? Avia? My name is Ally and just to get you familiar with everyone else, this is Dinah, Lauren, Normani, and Camila. They work with me and we are currently doing a major investigation."

Avia released Lynn, but held onto her hand tightly as if she were her protector. "An investigation for what?" She questioned.

"We're trying to find your mother." Camila answered, taking a seat in one of the chairs.

The girls both drew an expression that I couldn't quite read. I looked to Lauren because she was so good with body language reading and she sighed. "They're holding out on some information." She said loud enough for every one to hear.

Lynn shook her head. "Nuh uh! We want to find her too!" She shouted, placing her free hand on her small hip.

When she made that movement, she lifted her shirt up a bit and I saw a black and blue bruise on her lower stomach.

"Lynn, may I check something out?" I asked her, moving closer carefully. She raised her eyebrows in fear and dropped her hands to her side.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I promise." I assured her.

She let me come near her and I slowly lifted her shirt up. There were bruises like that all over her body and I heard Avia gasp.

"Lynn, did Daddy do all of that to you?!" She cried out.

I looked up to see tears swelling in Lynn's eyes as she looked down in embarrassment.

Dinah and Lauren both took Avia out of the room so that Lynn could feel more comfortable talking about it. All that was left in the room was Camila, Ally, Lynn, and I.

"Can I take your shirt off sweetie? I'll put it on right after I'm done okay?" I asked. She nodded her head slightly and I heard Ally hover over top of me to get a closer look.

"Camila, go and get your camera." She ordered.

When Camila ran out of the room, I lifted Lynn's beat up shirt and gasped at what I saw. On her chest and collarbone, she had horribly red marks and dried up blood. There was purple swelling near her neck too and bite marks on her right arm.

I didn't want to question furthermore, so I waited for Camila to come back. I looked over at Ally and she gave me sympathetic eyes. "I have to make a phone call." Was all that she said before taking off down the hallway.

Camila arrived with the black camera in her small hands and gasped like I did. Instead of saying anything, she snapped a couple of pictures and saved them for evidence.

"I'm so sorry honey." Camila told Lynn after she was done and that itself was enough to make the small, innocent child break down in tears.