fifteen

The doorbell rang at exactly 7pm. She was still standing in front of her mirror, running her hands over her dress, smoothing out the creases. She heard Rebecca call out that she would get the door, so she grabbed her purse and checked for her wallet, phone and keys. All set.

With one last glance in the mirror, she wondered for the thousandth time whether or not she would be overdressed. She had picked a simple rose pink dress, with a black lace detail at the hem and neckline. Her hair was down, and Rebecca had insisted on giving her a winged eyeliner thingy. No lipstick, she had said, because ‘what if he wants to kiss you?’

She heard Rebecca and Michael talking in the hallway, and after taking a deep breath to steady herself she walked in their direction. As she stepped into the hallway their conversation halted. Michaels eyes widened as he looked her up and down.

“Wow,” he breathed.

He was wearing dark jeans, a white dress shirt and a neat black jacket. His hair was dyed again, this time a purplish shade of blue. She relaxed a little, knowing that she wasn’t all that overdressed if he was wearing a suit jacket. He shook his head lightly, as if shaking himself out of a daze, and smiled at her.

“You look really pretty.”

“Thank you, you look quite handsome yourself.”

Rebecca grinned widely behind Michaels back, giving Lyanna two thumbs up. As Micheal turned to open the door, she pulled her pokerface back on. Michael swung the door open and motioned for Lyanna to step through. She quickly grabbed her coat from it’s hanger and put it on before stepping outside.

“Now kids,” she heard Rebecca say in a silly pretending-to-be-stern voice, “don’t do anything crazy, all right? And mister, I want her back before midnight! I’m watching you, young man!” She called after them as they walked down the front lawn. As Lyanna looked back at her, Rebecca’s grin broke through again and she waved at her like crazy.

She heard Michael chuckle beside her.

“Weird one, isn’t she?”

“Yeah, but she means well.”

Michael suddenly stopped and opened a car door for her. She stood for a moment surprised, not expecting he’d pick her up in a car. And a nice one as well. A big BMW, the kind that wealthy businessmen drive.

As Michael walked around the car to the drivers side, she wondered where he had gotten the car. If he was Sparrow, he couldn’t possibly afford a car like this. Maybe he’d borrowed it from a friend?

The drive was silent, but not uncomfortable. Every once in a while, Michael would take his eyes off the road to look over at her and smile.

“I like your new hair color.” She offered.

He smiled again before answering.

“Thanks. I used to change it a lot, but it’s been red for a while. I decided to change it up a bit.”