Happy After

Four Years Later

Four Years Later

"Mommy?!" I turned from the stove to see my little girl walk in with her little tinkering toy. "When's daddy coming home?"

I pulled the pot off the hot plate and walked over to little Angeline. "Daddy is working but he should be back soon."

A year after we moved here we found out Lucille was arrested for not only killing her mother but for poisoning Thomas's previous wife. At first, I was shocked Thomas never mentioned a wife before me but then realized he probably didn't want to start a relationship as a widower.

I always knew there was something strange and dark with Lucille and I could never put my finger on it. But now I know, I know everything, Thomas told me the truth about their relationship, and I was disgusted. I didn't talk to him for a while and that caused him to head back to Allerdale Hall to start his work.

So far he has torn down the mansion and built more machines, the whole land is being dug up and the red clay sold. I am proud of Thomas but, I miss him, he has been building his company there for almost two months.

He writes every week, sends gifts to his Angel once and a while. But I hate him not being here, I feel like it is my fault for pushing him away. I don't want a family that is broken, I want Thomas to be a father like my own. I know he loves me and loves Angel, but what if I hurt him too much.

"Daddy should be back soon, sweetheart. He is just busy." I brushed her raven hair behind her ear. "Dinner is almost ready. What do you say we go to town and get us some ice cream when we finish."

Her blue eyes sparkled. "You promise?" I nodded. "Can daddy meet us there?"

I smiled a broken smile. "Daddy is super busy. But maybe next time." Angel frowned. "Don't worry baby." I hugged her. "Daddy will be back, he's coming back." I rubbed her back. He will be back, he won't leave us, he won't leave you.

"Mommy? I smell something funny." I sniffed the air.

"Shit." I jumped away and took the pot off the stove and onto the table. "Damn it." A tear slipped my eye. Just another thing burning.

"Mommy it's ok." Angel walked over. "Don't cry, I can help you make another one."

I smiled and wiped my tears. "I'm fine, baby. How about we go out to town to eat?" Angel nodded. "Alright. Go get your coat and shoes on, I'll meet you at the door."

"Ok, mommy." Angel turned and walked out.

Get yourself straight, Odette! I took the pot and put it in the sink to soak.