Chapter 11

"Good morning, my dearest wife. Have you landed?" Ryujin says.

"Wow. What's with the greeting, boo?" Yuri chuckles on the other line.

"What's wrong with my greeting?"

"It's just out of the ordinary." Yuri giggles. "Did you, by any chance, wronged me after I left for my flight?"

Ryujin chuckles nervously. "Come on, boo."

"I’m just kidding you. Anyway, I called to tell you we're in the hotel room now. We're resting for a bit and will go out later to eat."

Ryujin checks her wristwatch. "It's seven pm there now, right? Don't stay out too late, okay?"

"Boo, I’m in New York City. Even if we go out at midnight, we can still find places to eat. This city never sleeps."

Whatever. Better be careful than sorry."

"I know. Anyway, what time is your meeting again?"

"It's 9 am. I’m already in the car."

"I hope this meeting turns out good for you. Who would have thought some producer would want to make an animated series out of one of your works? My wife's great!"

Ryujin chuckles. "Look. It's not confirmed yet. I’m yet to find out what their plan is. and it's not just me. Chaeyoung and I are Team Sonjinnie. I just hope Chaeyoung won't be arriving late today. She's the story writer after all."

"Don't worry. She'll be there early. By the way, have you recently talked to Miss Jisu?"

Words got stuck in Ryujin's throat. Is there a way Yuri could have found out she spent the night in Jisu's place?

But it's impossible.

"Um. No. I haven't seen her in a while. Why?"

"Well, there's just something different with her yesterday when we met up before my flight."

"Something different, like?" Ryujin can feel the sweat forming on her forehead.

"She seems bright and blooming. I mean, she's always pretty to me, but yesterday she was... glowing." Yuri stops for a moment before dropping the bomb. "I think she's in love, boo."

Ryujin had to cover her mouth to prevent herself from coughing.

"Don't get me wrong, I am excited for her," Yuri adds. "And I have a feeling I know who that person is."

Ryujin gulps. "W-who?"

"Remember the colleague she was with last time? Yeji? I think they are dating."

Ryujin scoffs. "What made you think so?"

"They look good together, don't they?"

"Maybe."

"Why don't we invite them for a date once I get back, boo?"

"Huh?" Ryujin blinks. "Wait. Wait. Wait. Are you serious?"

"I am, boo. Let's do it! It'll be fun!"

"Wow. Why do you seem so excited about this?"

"It's because I see Miss Jisu as an actual unnie. She's helped us a lot with our investments, remember? I want to be real friends with her."

"Well, isn't she helping us because that's what we're paying her for?"

"Why are you talking like that? Don't you like Miss Jisu?"

Ryujin couldn't answer. Like her? How can she explain to her wife it's more than that?

"She's... okay," Ryujin says, "but do we have to go on a dinner date with her and Yeji? Why not just invite her alone?"