Chapter 27

Ryujin steps out of the temple, not sure if she got something out of her visit.

For starters, she feels lighter. Yeah. Voicing out her thoughts to the spirits and the universe made her feel just a little better. Although she was expecting to feel something grandiose--a spark, a clue, enlightenment of some sort--but there was nothing like that.

She's sure she did things right tho; knelt on the floor, barefoot, palms together. She lit incense during prayer and chanted along with the other worshipers inside--something she has never done before in her lifetime.

For someone who grew up irreligious, Ryujin's willing to do this regularly if it entails a closer bond with the spirits and getting clues on how she should handle her situation.

Because seriously she's starting to get tired of the tight spot she's facing--the spot that the spirits had put her into in the first place.

More reasons for them to help her out, right?

She told the spirits how she's been cheating on her wife with her soulmate--the one they destined to be her other half--for three months now. Whilst the best approach is to spill the truth and set her wife free, Ryujin doesn't have the heart to do it.

How can she hurt the only person who stood by her side all these years? How can she break the woman whom she vowed to take care of for the rest of her life?

Breaking Yuri's heart would mean breaking Ryujin's too.

And what would their families say?

She can already imagine facing the rage of Yuri's parents. They'd probably say how they were so right to push the prenuptial agreement before the marriage.

And her parents, would they understand? They love Yuri like their own. Bringing Jisu into the picture might cause resentment towards her soulmate.

What is Ryujin supposed to do in that situation?

As she walked down the steep stairs with those thoughts running through her head, Ryujin noticed a wooden placard on the side with interesting texts painted on it.

'Detoxify your mind. Reset your life. We accept volunteers in the monastery.'

"Volunteers?" Ryujin looks back up and sees the complex of buildings behind the temple.

"Interested in volunteering, child?"

Ryujin jumps at the voice, stepping back only to see a bald woman in a red and yellow robe standing near her.

Was she there all this time?

"Uh... I was just looking at..." Ryujin points at the wooden placard.

The woman hums, her hands on her back. "Free food and lodging. All vegan. You share a room with three people. No belongings permitted; phones, money, clothing. But you'll be required to buy at least three robes before you enter the monastery. Don't worry. They are very cheap."

"Uh--"

"We sleep at nine in the evening and wake up at four in the morning," the woman continues. "You will help with cleaning, cooking, and overall maintenance of the monastery. You can also join our activities like praying, meditating, and hiking. Lastly, the volunteer period is for three weeks."

"Three weeks? That's quite long."

"It won't be long once you immerse yourself in the culture. We will install new habits in you--new thinking. You will change the way you perceive yourself and the world. More importantly, you'll be closer to the spirits."

Ryujin finds it quite interesting now. "Do... Do I have to shave my head like yours?"

The woman chuckles. "Shaving is only required for monks. To be one requires great commitment. You would have to detach yourself from your worldly possessions, give up your desires, and relinquish your household ties--including that ring on your finger."