Chapter 30

"It was with a female pilot she worked with before." Ryujin hands over a peeled boiled egg to Jisu. They were already on the bus, traveling back to the city when her soulmate reminded her about that cheating story.

Jisu knits her brows as she receives the boiled egg. "Oh. And how did she cheat on you? Were they together like how we are now?"

"Well, sort of." Ryujin goes back to peeling the other eggs on her lap. "I didn't clarify what they were. But they have been sleeping with each other during overlays."

"Ouch. For how long was that?"

"Can't say. I didn't clarify either. I think it was for a couple of months too."

"Why? Shouldn't you be asking for all the details?"

Ryujin shrugs. "I was too devastated when I found out. Any more details are just too hard to take." she turns to Jisu and pushes the egg to her mouth. "You eat first, okay?"

Jisu takes a bite and chews before she speaks again, "and how did you find out?"

"Text messages." Ryujin sets aside the cracked shells. "I picked her up from the airport that day after a flight. She fell asleep in the cab on our ride back to her parent's house. I guess she was too tired from work and forgot to clear her inbox. My phone was running out of batteries that day, so I opened hers instead to play some games. That's when I saw their exchanged messages. It was flirty and sensual."

Jisu grimaces as she chews another bite. "Did you confront her right away?"

"I couldn't. I had to calm myself down first. I let her sleep. I went home and cried. Then I left her a short message, telling her I've read her inbox and that our seven-year relationship is over."

"Eh? If you had broken up with her, then how did you two get married?"

"She apologized profusely to me after. She even went down on her knees in front of mom and dad, crying, admitting her mistakes and asking for forgiveness." Ryujin smiles at the memory. "How I could not forgive such an effort, you know."

"In other words, she tried to win you back again?"

"Yup. She doubled her efforts to make it up with me. So, I thought, maybe she deserves a second chance, you know. Several months after that, her granny got hospitalized. The rest was history."

Jisu nods. "But that was the same year we met too, remember? Do you think the spirits willed Yuri to cheat on you so you two would break up?"

"Maybe. But if we didn't marry, then how would I meet you? You were with Yeji at that time. You would have ignored me."

"Maybe you're right." Jisu takes another bite of the egg. "But who knows. You're hard to ignore, in case you didn't know."

Ryujin smiles. "Flatterer."

"But if we didn't meet with that shaman ahjumma, the thread would not have been activated, right?"

Ryujin hums. "Sometimes it's hard to comprehend what the spirits want to happen." She gives another peeled egg to Jisu. "But I'm glad you met my parents today."

Jisu smiles. "Yeah. I felt lighter after we talked to them. I'm glad they accepted me right away."

"How could they not? You're adorable and intelligent."

"Flatterer."

Both of them chuckle.

"Hey. Stop peeling now. Eat some too." Jisu raises an egg to Ryujin's mouth and takes a bite.

"I will tell Yuri tonight," Ryujin says, chewing. "Once we arrive at the terminal, I'll go straight to the airport to pick her up. Then I'll tell her tonight."