ℂ𝟚

It didn't take long for you to find high ground. And sure enough, you saw a small walled city, nestled in the middle of clear blue waters. The smell of dandelions briefly wafted by you as you swiveled your head to take in the view.

You sighed. The atmosphere was just so.... Peaceful. It was repulsive. 

Shaking your head, you could clearly make out a path that would take you to the city. You hopped off the small cliff and hit the ground rolling. Based on the sun's position, you figured it was about high noon. Just in time for lunch.

* * *

The city was a sight to behold. Like it came straight out of a fantasy. "Welcome back Quinn." A guard nodded his head to the man transporting a cart of sunsettias. You froze halfway across the bridge. Guards. Questions. There was no way to avoid the two men keeping watch at the city gate. 

For a moment, you contemplated if you could go in through a side entrance. But that would put you under suspicion. It's not like you have anything to hide. You're just passing through and looking for a quick meal. Still, you hesitated. Humans are all the same. Glancing upwards, you thought, I don't have a choice, do I?

Making up your mind, you strode across the bridge with as much confidence as if you actually belonged here. Keeping your eye on the guards who were deep in conversation with the man called Quinn, you failed to notice the pigeons you sent scattering. "Hey! My pigeons!" A small voice called. You didn't so much as blink at the outcry.

As the guards were still distracted, you ducked to the side. Looking up at the city walls, you gulped. They certainly didn't seem so high earlier. You bit your lip and scanned the area, wondering if you should just leave. Since when did you become so indecisive?

Studying the wall, you looked for cracks and chips you could use as footholds. Checking your surroundings once again, you started to climb. This is easier than I thought it would be, you thought.

Making it about halfway up, you felt a strong wind threatening to knock you off. Shit. You scrambled as you lost your foothold, dislodging a few loose pebbles from the wall. 

"Hey, you! What are you doing up there?"