ℂ𝟙𝟛

You walked across the glade, one that was becoming familiar to you. Not due to the landscape. That was still a luscious green, with a single fallen tree that served as a bench for a certain cross-legged musician. You wouldn't call it particularly memorable per se, except for the fact it was the only place you could meet without drawing eyes. Listening to the tunes he strummed, it almost brought back a sense of nostalgia. 

Almost. 

You were here to get him out of your way, not to reminisce. The past was long over, something that would never come back. And this particular god was nothing more than an annoyance to you. 

May the rest of the Seven Archons... You killed that train of thought, remembering you would never entrust the strings of fate to anything other than your own hands. The world is what  we make of it, is it not? There's no weight behind a prayer.

"Oh little bard~" You called, interrupting the performance. Granting yourself the luxury of a small complacent grin, you allowed the Holy Lyre to materialize in the palm of your hand, keeping it slightly elevated with your vision.  Venti smiled too, although his was one of genuine emotion. "Y/N! I knew I could count on you!" He cried, slipping off the log.

You waited for him to take a few skips towards you, lowering your hand and letting your electricity hold the Lyre up. 

Both his arms outstretched to receive the artifact, you safely allowed it to drop. "Thank Barbatos!" The relief was evident as he beamed, cradling it as he would a child. "Uh- Wait a minute..." It was vaguely amusing for you to watch the Anemo Archon's joyful face contort into mild confusion.

"I take it my debt is repaid, then?" You asked, then realizing the possible miscommunication you were practically offering within the half second after the words left your mouth. "Don't. Answer that." You added hurriedly, before you would have to sit in for another melodious rhyme, worried he would try and call in another favor.

"Ehe! Well I was wondering if you would wanna stick around, I have a few more acquaintances that could-" 

The rest of his sentence was whisked away with the breeze, you took off as fast as lightning could strike. There was no way in Teyvat you would be an errand runner for the deities you cursed with your whole existence.

* * *

Dusk fell quickly as you made your way back to Mondstadt. You'd spent the day fighting hilichurls. Or rather, axe wielding mitachurls. Drenched in their blood, as usual. You needed the distraction, it's much easier to slash down enemies than to be alone with your mind. Crossing the bridge into the city, you sent the birds scattering once again, but the boy that would've indignantly scolded you for it wasn't present at this hour. 

Making your way over to Good Hunter to spend a couple more of the mora you had left, you planned to spend the evening in relative peace.

Apparently, the universe wasn't on your page. As usual.

Just as you made it up the first flight of stairs leading to the main square, there was a commotion—a cacophony of alarmed shouting as Mondstadt's knights rushed past you, hands on the hilts of their swords, flooding out the city gates. Or rather, trickling. Their numbers were pretty minute for a named enforcement hierarchy. 

A sharp, unprecedented gust from behind displaced your hair as you were preoccupied with noting the Knights of Favonius falling into a defensive formation at the near end of the bridge. You tensed before hearing a quick "Coming through!" Taking Amber's voice as no immediate threat, you allowed yourself to relax as she made her way into your peripheral vision, scrutinizing the wings you could only catch a glimpse of before they vanished into the subspace as she landed at the bottom of the steps. She can fly?

You lingered long enough to watch Amber issue some informal commands to the armored personnel before taking her place behind them, drawing her bow. There were no other defenders arriving as far as you could tell. Either the danger was small enough to send just an archer, or the higher ranks had better to do. 

You returned your attention to your original sentiment, whether the Knights could handle it or not, it wouldn't be a problem for you. If an issue arose you were more than capable of dealing with it. All the current situation meant for you was that you wouldn't have to put up with too many people this evening.

At least that's what you anticipated, until you caught sight of the characteristic cloud of a fur cape.

With a twinge of annoyance that he was blocking the menu, you stalked up to the counter with the hopes of making an impromptu order anyway. "Good evening, L/N, welcome to Good Hunter. May I take your order?", Sara greeted you. You didn't recall telling her your name. Though, she is a waitress, and you have been the talk of the town lately. People have their mouths wide open when they eat.

Offering her a casual smile, you started, "I'd like to know your recommenda-"

You were cut off by a clicking noise to your right. "Not even going to acknowledge my presence, L/N?" You spared a glance to the side, where Kaeya stood with his arms folded, looking at you mournfully. "I'm hurt. I've always thought we enjoyed quite the intimate friendship."

You scoffed lightly, your scorn showing through your leering teeth. "Very well. Bon soir, pretty boy. Don't you have somewhere to be?" You gestured with a flick of your head to the ruckus occurring as you both spoke. Kaeya chuckled. "And what about you, L/N? Surely Mondstadt's great hero would be lending a hand now, no?"

This was met with a rather dry Very funny laugh of your own. "I don't mean to be such a bitch, but I'm already done and through with your city's uselessness that I should have to be running simple errands." If you hadn't experienced it firsthand, it never would've crossed your mind that someone of your- former standing would ever be subject to the treatment of near slavery. How low. The look you donned must've been murderous, as Sara excused herself to the back of the restaurant. Expecting some form of a clever retort from Kaeya, you were surprised you were left with the final word, as his attention was directed elsewhere. He hummed a piloted indication that he heard you, seeming to find something more pressing. "I hate to cut our lovely conversation short, my dear, but I seem to have a... simple errand to run." He lifted his hand in brisk farewell, heading off to the shadows that always seemed to draw him. 

Alright, pretty boy. Let's see what you're up to, you thought, as you turned to follow.