It's like 20 below

(Jack's POV)

I sat in my room alone. What the hell happened today? I mean one minute, Alex and I were happy and I said one thing, one fucking thing, and he exploded. Like a time bomb. Tick tick boom.

"On a wire, we were dancing, two kids no consequences, pulled the trigger without thinking, there's only one way down this road..." I sang to myself, staring at the pale ceiling. My bed felt oddly huge without Alex. It was as if it were too big for me, too big for this room. My love was downstairs, and it was my fault. I'd apologized, maybe it's be better in the morning.

---------------------------------------------

"What the fresh hell is this?!" I said rolling over to look at the clock. It was 7 am. Fuck me. I pulled on my pj pants before trudging into the bathroom. My hair, as usual, was a mess. I ran a brush through it and tip toed downstairs to see a passed out Alex.

After pouring myself a bowl of cereal, I sat down on the Laz-E boy chair to watch a silent sponge bob. Alex woke up 3 hours later.

"Holy fuck Jack, go back to your room." He said not even looking at me. It's not like I had made noise. The tv was on mute for fuck sake!

"Alex, the tv is on mute, I've been here for 3 hours, I let you sleep, there's no need to be in a foul mood." I said in the calm tone my mother had taught me to use when I was talking to 5 year olds.

"Don't tell me what to do Barakat, I'll be in whatever mood I want." Alex said very coldly.

"Look Alex, I fucking love you. I get it, I hurt you with my assumptions. You know what they say about assumptions. They make an ass out of you and an ass out of me. You seem to be forgetting the ASS OUT OF YOU part. I gave you a sincere apology, take it or leave it. Either way, you're still allowed to stay here, I'm not going to throw you out or anything, if you were even worried about that Alex." I said not regretting one word. I will later, I always do, but right then and there, I was pissed.

"Jack, I knew you wouldn't throw me out, and I'm not leaving because we love each other, but I'm allowed to have fucking feelings. Yeah you apologized, but it's not going to make my anger just melt." He said looking at me now.

"Then I'll leave you alone to stew in your anger and not have to worry about me fueling it." I said before standing up, grabbing my hoodie, and walking out of the house. It was super cold outside, colder than usual.

"Well this is fucking great, my boyfriend's pissed, I can't tell my mom that he's my boyfriend, it's cold outside, and what? I'm crying now too? Kill me now." I said kicking rocks and looking at the pavement.

"Jack?" I heard an annoying voice say behind me. This wasn't what I needed. Especially not that voice.

"What Lisa?" I said spinning on my heels to see the girl who used to be alive with excitement. She looked drained of life now. Her once filled sweatshirt barely clung to her shoulders, her skinny jeans now baggy. She looked as though she hasn't slept in days, and her eyes looked sad. Completely dead inside.

"I, well, is uhmm, Alex doing ok? I still think about him you know, a lot." She said choking up. Her arms were wrapped tightly around her midsection, and I had a heart. I wouldn't leave her in the cold, sad and alone. Wasn't that what I was?

"He's ok, 3 weeks clean you know? He's mad right now, but he'll get over it soon. I just, thanks for not yelling at me or anything, I swear I didn't home wreck you guys..." I said just babbling, feeling good that someone would listen.

"He's gone 3 weeks?! That's amazing! He's obviously happier with you, and I'd rather him be happy than not, if it's with you, then I'm ok with it. I'm not mad at you, not at all. I'm not even mad at Alex, I'm just sad, you know? It's like I wasn't good enough or something. It was just hard to take in, but I support you guys now, fully support you." She said sobbing now. Her sweatshirt sleeves fell enough to see lines, some older, some newer across her wrist.

"L-Lisa those are old right?" I said suddenly feeling that rock in my stomach that I felt last night seeing a scar on Alex.

"Oh of course! I've been clean for a year, I had stopped to help Alex, it didn't work obviously, but it was worth a shot." She said quietly. I grabbed her into a hug, allowing her to sob into my shoulder. It helped to have a hug, she needed it. When I finally looked up I saw the one person who didn't need to see any of this staring at us.

"So you two are friends now?" He said looking disgusted.

"No, she was sad and walking alone in the cold, she needed help, and I needed company. There's no need to hate her, she supports you Alex, and honestly, she's the only one of your ex-girlfriends I like right now." I said letting go of my embrace around Lisa. He turned to face Lisa and walked over, no emotion registered on his face.

Before I could recognize what was about to happen. He gave her one last glare and passionately kissed me, I had it in my mind I wouldn't let him use me to hurt her, but I had melted into the kiss. I couldn't help it. 

"So you're ok with seeing that?" He said to her after pulling away from me. She just shrugged.

"You're obviously more into kissing him than me, might as well be happy, otherwise life is pointless." She said winking at me before walking back to her house.