Homeward Bound

(Jack's POV)

Alex was singing, and it sounded amazing! I loved the chords and the beat...and I suddenly started to hear the words.

" Hey there it's good to see you again,

It never felt right calling this "just friends".

I'm happy, if you're happy, with yourself...." and I thought for a moment...I had zoned out and only caught a few things "I'm not the same boy you knew back then." and then tuned back in.

"I can't breathe, my body's shaking.

You've got a way with the way you take me,

'Cause you break me down,

You know you break me down.

I'm gonna break down these walls, I built around myself.

I wanna fall so in love, with you, and no one else,

Could ever mean half as much, to me as you do now."

Who the hell was he talking about? He never treated a girl horribly and Alex wasn't one to get all jealous about girls...then it hit me. He was douche to me, I had been joking around when we all went out once about it, didn't he say something like "stop talking shit to everyone of your friends." I was sure of it. Damn, I didn't mean to offend him by it...and it hit me. The one and only Alexander William Gaskarth liked me. ME! I had to play it cool, maybe make him think it was obvious? I had hoped this would happen for awhile. Three fucking years to be exact. It's not that i'm gay, I don't like any other guys, it's really just Alex. Or maybe I am gay and just found "the one" at the beginning? What the hell am I thinking...

"who was that about?" I asked trying to get him to say it, I needed to hear it, not like the song didn't already tell me...

"I...uhm..someone." he said nervously. He did that lip biting thing that I always thought looked cute on him. Only him really. I leaned in close so no one would hear me, even though the only other person in the place was two stories down, and he would let us get away with anything in here.

"I knew you'd admit it eventually." I said half smirking, trying my damn hardest not to blush. I liked Alex a lot, and I wasn't going to fuck it up. Mystery...a chase. Alex always said he enjoyed that...His face showed how deep in thought he was. He was questioning everything, I knew he would. He always does. There was a silence for several minutes and it was honestly getting to the point of suffocating.

"Alex, come here." I said in a warm tone, a smile on my face as I stuck out my hand for him to grab. I wanted to take him to my favorite place in the store, sit down, and talk. Screw a chase, it failed with girls and I didn't want to confuse an already vulnerable Alex. He grabbed my hand and set the guitar down with the other as I led him to the next floor up at the very back corner. There were beanbags and records hung on the walls. It was a place for you to play and listen to your music, talk, whatever really. I loved it up here and the look on Alex's face told me he did too. I sat down and pulled him down on top of me before wrapping my hands around his waist. I wasn't sure what to say and realized that even if I couldn't write a song to save my life, I could always sing one...just a thought...maybe he'd find it sweet?

"jack..." he said in a confused yet pleased tone. "you don't have to say anything...I know you know I like you...and I don't know if you like me too but it seems like it...and I want to be with you...and runaway with you...like you said about before." I looked at him for a moment, the memory of the night he came to my house, beaten senseless by his own mother, a broken nose, obvious knife lacerations, and bruises on his arms and chest. I cleaned him up seeing as my mother wasn't home and my dad was never coming home. I asked him to run away with me. The guys, Matt, and us. Go to California, start a life for us. It sounded so pleasant, so right. Alex and I in my jeep, pictures of us all around on the dashboard and clipped to the mirror...here I go again, dreaming. My father's words still ring in my ears "give him six more years Carol, to see what will become of a hopeless dreamer." a little harsh you think? I noticed Alex was staring at me, waiting for an answer. Zack and Rian, were already on board and Matt wasn't leaving anything behind he graduated early this year...I had written a song for Alex..about running away...it was stupid and I couldn't sing so I just got to the point.

"Alex, runaway with me, I know I sound crazy don't you see what you do to me? I can be your lost boy, last chance, a better reality. Alex, we can get away, I promise, if you're with me say the words and I'll find a way, I can be your lost boy, last chance, your everything better plan." I said probably at hyper speed but who cares? A smile lit up his face.

"I'd love to Jack!" he said excited...and I was excited myself, he'd be away from his mother, depression, everything, and i'd have him to myself. Zack, Rian, and Matt all knew about how I felt towards Alex. They kept quiet and told me they hoped he'd turn around and see he felt the same. They started this thing calling us Jalex, not to Alex of course, but with me I'd constantly hear 'is Jalex a thing yet?!' I'd always laugh and stuff but I secretly wished it was...it isn't now either, but there's that possibility it will be.

"lex...you..uhm...Lisa." I choked out remembering that thing always attached to Alex's hip...she wasn't here and that's when I remembered something, she walked by my house today, Alex didn't drive her to school...

"We...broke up...because I wanted to go to the beach with you instead of her damn family reunion." he said a bit pissed off, and I can't blame him...there was something else there too though...relief..

"I almost forgot about the beach!! Just you and I all weekend!" I said happier than ever at the thought...long walks on the beach...just us, no parents to fuck things up, no judgement from kids at school, just us.

"Alex, I promise, two more months, we graduate, that night, we'll hit the road and never look back." I said taking into account that Zack and Rian had to graduate, their parents cared too much about their grades...but I had another idea. "stay with me, at my house. We can pack your stuff tonight, and you can come live with me..your mom might find it to be a relief...not like she'd care anyway." I said, my heart racing, head pounding. I almost had Alex Gaskarth in my hands...his mother won't take that away from me...damn it I'm thinking selfishly...

"Jack...I'll do it." he said quick and quiet...like he was scared of his own shadow.