Changing The Game

(Alex's POV)

"Who knew we'd end up like this?

The two of us in a spiraling abyss?

The love we once knew,

Split in two,

All I can do,

Is call you up to say I miss you."

"Oh fuck it, it's stupid." I said pacing back and forth in front of Jack's locker. If I hadn't have been so sensitive, none of this would have happened, we'd still be happy. Hell, he can be friends with whoever the fuck he wants.

"H-hey Alex." He mumbled as he went around me to get to his locker. "W-what did I do wrong now?" He stuttered out, attempting to not make eye contact.

"What? No, nothing, I just umm, I just wanted to know if maybe you and umm Lisa wanted to go get some pizza after school? You know like hang out together." I asked looking at my shoes, I felt stupid. Why would the two new best friends want anything to do with me? I was an ass.

"I would love to, I'll try to convince Lisa you aren't a total jackass." He said laughing lightly. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to get him back, it's not like we broke up really, he's just been avoiding me for the past two weeks.

---------------------------------------------

The bell rang exceedingly loud signaling the end of yet another day in school. Any other day I wouldn't notice, but today I seem to be aware of everything. Every small movement just seems exaggerated.

Stepping outside, the sun was bright and air warm. It was nice to get rid of the bitterness of winter in Baltimore. Classmates filed out, and I found Lisa and Jack together. I chose to walk over, seeing an annoyed Lisa trying to hide behind her sweatshirt, and Jack trying his best to make up for her unhappiness.

I wondered if he knew why she was wearing sweatshirts all the time. If he knew she broke down. If he knew it was because of me. I'll admit it to no one else, but I honestly felt horrible. What I said was harsh, and in all honesty, down right shitty. I sent her over the edge, and then had the courage to tell her it was for attention? I was the one who walked into her room uninvited, who asked her what she was doing. She was keeping it a secret from the rest of the world, and I had to be a bastard about it. I honestly can't imagine what she's going through. I left her, and started dating a guy, then flaunt said guy in front of her.

"Lisa, I'm sorry I'm an ignorant fuck. I'm an asshole, and we both know why. I know you're only here because Jack begged you to come, I really want to make it up to you ok? I promise this is nothing more than pizza between...friends, and me proving to you I'm not a complete monster." I rambled off as we all piled into my hunk of junk car. She gave me these wide eyes as if she was stunned that I was apologizing, and then worried that I'd do something crazy to make it up to her. I've done it before, why wouldn't I again? Her silence gave me enough of a response as I drove to the Pizza King a few miles from the school. The pizza was shitty, but none of us really came for pizza.

"So you are uhmm...done being pissy?" Jack asked quietly.

"Yeah, I was an ass, and I really just need to quit being so sensitive, so I'm starting today." I responded seeing Lisa look at me for the first time since we arrived.

"Well I sure hope so because I'm tired of hearing Jack complain about you not sleeping in his bed anymore." She said jokingly. It was as if nothing had changed, as if we'd taken a time machine back to 7th grade. The three of us, all just friends. Jack and I in a bromance, and Lisa making a joke of it. These were the days I missed with her, the ones I've longed to see again. I don't know how long it will last, honestly I couldn't care less. We were here right now, we were happy. Why fuck with that?

"Alex? Jack?" I hear a voice say from behind me. Jack and I turn to face a girl, no older than 15 staring at us as if we were two different people.

"Uhh hi?" Jack says giving me the "dude who the hell is this?" Look.

"H-hi I'm Tay. You guys don't uhh, know me, but I go to your shows a lot and you guys are amazing. I have this small garage band, we're hoping to be like you guys someday." She said in a barely audible tone. She was pretty, that much was certain. Her black hair went well with her beautiful brown eyes, and she had the cutest nose someone could possibly have. Her blink 182 shirt rested above her black skinny jeans, and her blue converse finished off the look. As beautiful as she was, I wasn't attracted to her. It was odd, especially for me, but I just wasn't turned on by the thought of women anymore.

"That's great! What's your band's name?" I heard Jack asked as I turn to see Lisa eyeing Tay. Not in the "I'll cut you bitch" kind of way, but in the "damn you're beautiful" kind of way.

"We are the in crowd." She responded before looking at Lisa and biting her lip.

Now I'm not one to pick up on this kind of thing, but it was as if you could see the sexual tension between the two of them, and It caught me by surprise.

"I'm Lisa by the way." Lisa said sticking out her hand to shake Tay's.

"Tay Jardine, it's very nice to meet you." She replied before giving a slight smile, "I have to go, but we have a small show at the coffee house tomorrow night, you guys should come." She said still looking at Lisa.

"We'll be there." She said before Tay left.

"What was that all about?!" Jack asked when Lisa sat back down.

"Yeah really, I thought the mighty Lisa Roucco was completely dick oriented?!" I said giving her a joking smile.

"Well let's just say I'm willing to widen my playing field." She responded before biting into a big slice of horrible pizza.