eight

◜      ◝
𝗯𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗮𝗹
˚ ༘♡ ·˚ ₊˚ˑ༄ؘ
𝙢𝙚𝙡𝙤𝙙𝙞𝙚𝙨
◟      ◞

JUNE ASKED ASHLYN if she could come over for some help with a new song she was writing. june had been stuck on writing this song for weeks. she also couldn't come up with a good melody that fit it and had trouble with some lyrics. ashlyn was free and let her come over to her house.

june sat at the piano and ashlyn sat on a chair next to her. june had her hands on the piano messing around with keys. "why don't you show me what you have and maybe i can help you with the lyrics." ashlyn said as june nodded.

"run me in circles like you always do, mess with me on purpose so i'll hang onto you. i know what you mean when you act like that, you don't know it's breaking my heart, said that it was just never gonna happen" june sung "then i have some of the choruses," she said adjusting her fingers on the keys for the chorus.

"we say we're friends, but i'm catching you across the room. it makes no sense, 'cause we're fighting over what we do and there's no way that i'll end up being with you,
but friends don't look at friends that way, friends don't look at friends that way." june finished singing and turned to ashlyn "and that's it. like i said it's not that good."

"i thought it was good. who'd you write it about?" a voice said, which made june turn around.

"no one," june answered.

"ej! you finally woke up, it's 11 am. honestly, i thought you would have stayed asleep until your dad came home from his trip already," ashlyn said which made ej rolled his eyes "i need sleep to look like this every day."

"like what?" june smirked and made ej scoff.

"anyways, can i see your songbook?" ej asked as june shook her head no. "all top secret stuff in here, i'm sorry i can't give it to ya." june said closing her book.

"but ashlyn—"

"bye ej!" ashlyn said pushing him into the kitchen and out of sight "sorry about him. let's work on the song." ashlyn said as june opened her songbook back up.

"so did you not write this song about someone?" ashlyn asked as june nodded. "oh well then we will need a lot of work. are you free the whole day?" ashlyn asked as june nodded.

"good."

june sat in ashlyn's living room alone on the piano bench

june sat in ashlyn's living room alone on the piano bench. ashlyn's mom called and practically forced her to go run an errand for her. so june was humming the melody of the song hoping to get somewhere writing them. ej passed the living room and chuckled at the girl at the piano.

"did my cousin leave you alone?" ej asked and june nodded. "move down." ej said sitting on the bench next to her. he started hitting random keys and made june look at him in confusion.

"you don't know how to play, do you?" june asked.

"what gave it away?" he asked, which made her chuckle "your stiff fingers. so ej what have you been doing all day? sleeping mode?" june asked.

"looking and applying to colleges." he answered "well more like only looking at duke. my dad wants me to go there because he did and his dad is. so now—"

"they want to keep the tradition?" june asked as he nodded "do you want to go?" she asked.

"uh, i don't know. i mean—it would be nice to carry along the tradition." ej shrugged, looking down at the keys. something was telling him that if he didn't go, his dad and the whole family would be disappointed in him if he didn't go. "that wasn't a yes." june said.

"i know. uh so do you still talk to your old friends? at your old school?" ej curiously asked. "uh—some of them. they live so close i could practically drive to them. so i hang with them on the weekends."

"cool."

"you know ej, you're not a total asshole." june said.

"thanks?"

"first you were mr. i'm kinda bummed we have no competition to ej with feelings." she said and he laughed "ej with feelings?"

"yeah, at school you're so "grrrr i'm ej, class treasurer and captain of the water polo team." and i've never heard you say how you really feel," june told him looking back down at the keyboard.

"hey, june you're pretty cool, we should hang out sometime." ej said to june making her look up. "uh—i can't tell if you're kidding or not."

"i'm not. you know i need friends besides ashlyn and the waterpolo team. we can get pizza or something, maybe at big reds family place?" ej suggested, and june smiled "that sounds good." the door opened revealing ashlyn and many paper grocery bags. "uh—a little help!" ashlyn said as the two bolted off the chair to help ashlyn carry in the bags.

 "uh—a little help!" ashlyn said as the two bolted off the chair to help ashlyn carry in the bags

ej and june !!!