twenty three

◜      ◝
𝗯𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗮𝗹
˚ ༘♡ ·˚ ₊˚ˑ༄ؘ
𝙖 𝙬𝙚𝙚𝙠 𝙤𝙛𝙛
◟      ◞

AFTER EAST HIGH broke into north high, everything felt normal the weekend after. north high was getting ready to do the dance scenes where the beast and bell dance scene which june and mr. roy were going to choreograph because june had to be in the scene. "okay i will be choreographing the rest of the scene." mr. roy said clasping his hands together.

"i thought june was doing it." lily said pointing to june who was looking through her script. he sighed "well, june is also in this scene so i thought i'd make it a bit easier for her." mr. roy explained "anyways, get into places after the dialogue. june go upstage right please!" june gave him a thumbs up and moved.

"cue music please!"

"tale as old as time, true as it can be, barely even friends
then somebody bends unexpectedly just a little change,
small to say the least both a little scared neither one prepared, beauty and the beast." june sung as lily and howie did the parts they were taught by june. "ever just the same, ever a surprise, ever as before and ever just as sure as the sun will rise—"

june was cut off by mr. roy's phone ringing. mr. roy put his coffee down on the table and the stage manager quickly stopped the music. "hello?—this is he—what? you're kidding right?—but—they snuck onto our property!—fine, thanks." he hung up the phone angrily.

"what happened?" howie asked.

he let out a sigh, putting his phone down. he stood up from his chair and stood in front of his students. "so, apparently menkies heard about the little stunt east high pulled and because east high broke in, they are suffering and not allowed to practice for a week. but—" he paused.

"but what?" antoine asked.

"but, they are telling us that we are also not allowed to practice for a week because of the dances battle thing you guys did. so, we can't rehearse for a week." he explained "so, i guess you guys can pack your stuff up now. just make sure you keep studying lines and practicing dances so you won't forget!" he shouted as students quickly left the dance room.

"this stinks." lily said leaning against the locker "it wasn't even our fault. they came here!"

"well, at least we have our new york trip to look forward to." june said "while we're in new york, east high kids are going to be on resorts and traveling."

"you just gave me an idea." lily said standing up straight, and walking away.

since it was a friday night and june's parents trusted her, she was going to stay the night at ej's house

since it was a friday night and june's parents trusted her, she was going to stay the night at ej's house. when they were in ej's room, she noticed him staring at the duke sweatshirt that was hung over his chair. her hands stopped moving through his hair, and look down at the boy who's head was in his lap.

"wait, did you get into duke? when did you find out?" june said as ej sat up.

"uh yeah my dad said he pulled a few strings or something like that. i don't know what he meant by that, but i want to know. he told everyone today at career day at school and it was a total shock. his dad gave it to him and now he's passing down the torch." he said leaning back on the headboard of his bed.

"do you want to go to duke? or are you doing it cause of the legacy? because you know you don't have to follow in the path your family made for you, you can make your own path." june said holding his hand. ej ran his hand through his hair "i don't know what i want to do yet, but i think i don't want to go to duke. i'm just scared that my dad will be mad when i tell him."

"ej, he'll understand. he's your dad. you'll be fine, im promise you."

"thanks. so, i guess we won't spend a lot of time together this spring break. you're going on a trip right? to new york." ej said and june nodded "i'm gonna watch a bunch of broadway shows. i've seen a lot before. my grandparents live in new york. i go a lot during the summer and winter. you're watching the house, huh?"

"unfortunately yes, but i get to do it with ashlyn."

"im guessing she hates me now?"

"hate—is a strong word, babe." ej said pulling june into his chest. june looked up at him "fine she—dislikes me then?" june asked.

"she doesn't dislike you june."

"are they mad we're still dating?" june asked.

"not that i know of, but also i don't talk to them about us too much. i'm just scared of what they'll say about you and i." ej said.

"you know i don't care what they think? you can tell me if they do say anything." june said and ej nodded "i will, i promise."

lowkey a filler chapter