twenty eight

◜      ◝
𝗯𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗮𝗹
˚ ༘♡ ·˚ ₊˚ˑ༄ؘ
𝙨𝙪𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙧 𝙘𝙖𝙢𝙥
◟      ◞

JUNE WALKED INTO the camp and immediately found the registration area. there was a nice playground and a large grassy area that june wished she had as a child behind her. a girl with a bright orange shirt and a pull cart approached june.

"hi, you look kind of lost right now. i'm maddox. i'm a c.i.t. this year and welcome to camp shallow lake! i will take that." she said pulling the phone out of june's hand "oh—okay then." she said giving up on trying to grab her phone.

"um do you know ej?" june asked and she nodded "is he here yet?"

"no they're not here yet. how do you know rocket man? are you a wildcat? i know he's bringing some of his friends this year." maddox asked tilting her head. "uh—i'm his girlfriend. i used to go to his school for like a year. i'm june." she replied.

"oh! i think you are in my cabin! yay!" she said "oh! i gotta go! nice meeting you!"

june took her bags into the cabin and left them on a bottom bunk. she checked the room out for a bit before going outside to explore more of the camp.

ej and the four wildcats arrived at camp after june did. ej early brought them into the camp. "camp shallow lake, y'all. my second home." ej grinned as the wildcats looked around the grounds. "don't you have a second home?" gina laughed.

"no, my second second-home. come on! seriously, i came to this camp an athlete and became an athlete-actor. you come to shallow lake one way, and you just become something else." ej said approaching the registration table. "it happens to everyone though."

"wow, and i thought this was a vacation." ashlyn replied.

"are those wildcats i see?" maddox said approaching the group with the pull cart, again. "what's up rocket man?" maddox asked as the two greeted each other.

"how you doing, gadget? ready for a good summer?" the rest of the wildcats watching the interaction in confusion. they were trying to figure out where the hell 'rocket man' came from."yeah, dude. oh rocket man, your girlfriend is here already, she's in my cabin. i will make her feel very welcome."

"june's here?" gina asked kourtney.

"where is she?" ej asked. june snuck up from behind him and jumped on his back. out of reflex, he caught her. "boo!—hi babe." she smiled as he put her down. he turned around to hug her. he leaned down and kissed her and kourtney cleared her throat. june turned around and ej put his arm around her.

ej recently just graduated and his dad was letting him take a gap year. june would finish out senior year and would go to college the same time as ej. it was perfect because they both wanted to have more time with each other before he left.

"oh...uh hi guys." june waved as they gave her a glare.

"okay...some bad blood i see..." maddox said backing away from the group.

"don't 'hi' us." gina said and june frowned "oh i guess we're still doing this, great." june mumbled looking down at her feet. "uh, i'm going to go now. i'll see you ej. bye." she awkwardly walked away.

"cmon guys, can't you just please be nice to her? she just said 'hi' and that's all." ej begged. maddox walked over to the group with the phone bucket. ej went to go after june, who was a couple yards away.

"june, hey, i'm sorry about them." ej apologized.

"it's my fault." june said and ej shook his head. "it is not your fault, june."

"yes it is! i'm sorry i'm ruining your summer, i shouldn't have come." june said trying to head towards her cabin. "june, you don't have to leave. just stay here. it's fine, we will have the best summer together." he said grabbing both of her hands. "i want to you be here."

"fine. i didn't want to have to drive back anyways." she said as ej pulled her into a hug.

"you guys will make up, i promise."

june followed ej down to the outdoor stage with a lantern in her hand

june followed ej down to the outdoor stage with a lantern in her hand. they found a place to sit while maddox set up her guitar on the stage. june was excited to find out who was going to be the celebrity guest and was mad because ej would tell her anything.

"tell me."

"no."

"please?"

"i can't."

"a hint?" june asked while ej shook his head and laughed. "i'm sorry, june, but you will find out when everyone else does." he said and she threw her head back and groaned. "i'm still very excited you're here, this place is so important to me." ej smiled. "i think i can pull a few strings and let you be co-choreographer with val, she's nice you'll get along well."

"hey—uh is he okay?" june asked looking at the boy with his arms crossed staring into the distance. he had a denim jacket and had his arms crossed, leaning against the railing of the stairs. "oh that's jet, a man of a very few words. sup jet!" ej shouted to him.

he gave ej an unimpressed look and nodded "mhm-hmm." he went back to looking into the distance. "uh this is june, my girlfriend." ej said and he looked over to june. she waved slightly at him.

"okay." he said and looked back to where he was originally looking. they both walked away from jet. "wow, he is a man of a very few words." june said widening her eyes.

ej sat next to the wildcats and june sat on the other side of him. luckily ej was blocking the glares that some of the wildcats were giving her. he sensed the glares his friends were giving her, and reached out to grab her hand. it was going to be a long two weeks.

·˚ 💌 AUTHORS NOTE
the finale 😭

spoiler
i started sobbing
when everyday started playing