| 1 1 | insight

~ Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage - Rainer Maria Rilke~

Neil was standing continuously tapping on his foot, as the vendor took time to find his favorite choco pista ice cream flavor, and her special vanilla flavor as the place was filled with many customers.

It was yet another day, in the evening after they returned from their works, having tea in their balconies when Neil asked her for the ice cream treat and as usual, she denied it but later agreed to return before it's too late at night. He had agreed to every condition before asking as he knew the first attempts had to be from his side or else she won't even bother to walk till the park.

"Bhaiya, jaldi karo na?" Neil asked the vendor getting annoyed making a grumpy face while Avni laughed at his impatience.

"Seems like, The Neil Khanna doesn't have patience when it comes to food", she asked looking at him while he surrendered himself denying to have patience when it comes to food.

"NEVER, You know I'm an easy-going guy. You can give me lots of yummy food and I'll come with you wherever you want to." He exclaimed handing over her vanilla flavor to herself and relishing his ice cream.

She laughed out loud at his stupid things, making him smile bright.

"Haven't I told you before, this seems so good on you", he said looking at her, when she gestured him to say in words what he's talking about.

"This, the upward curve of your lips", he winked at her while she stared at him like a sea found the shores.

"I won't mind if you ask me to have a bite of your ice cream!", he said looking at her while she laughed out.

"Why? aren't you liking your favorite choco pista, yeah?" Avni asked licking her own, trying to annoy him.

For a moment, he just stared at her serene face, who was busy having her favorite ice cream like a carefree butterfly. The moonlight was shining on her white skin, and those long hairs on which she had made messy bun were dangling freely from the light breeze flowing through.

Avni clicked her fingers in front of his eyes, "Back to earth, Mr. Khanna before your chocolate melts in pista!" saying this, she tried to control but laughed hard as his choco chips started melting in the green pista flavor down.

He smiled at her when she was busy laughing and eating her part simultaneously, Neil looked at her annoyed the very next moment when she doesn't offer him.

"kitni kanjoos ho na tum, mujhe bs taste karna hai baaki tumhari hi hai ice cream", he narrowed his eyes while she rolled her eyes not looking at him.

But, having enough of his patience she offered him a bite from her part, and he smiled relishing the new taste.

Having enough of their talks, she asked him to walk home together which he agreed happily.

»»»»»»»»»

As the night approaches, Avni started getting tensed to be back at her home soon. She can't afford to let anyone know of the state she deals with herself every night. Only, her roommate Mona knows about her state because maybe sometimes she can't remember the things that take place in her subconscious mind.

As they walked, Neil looked at the change of million expressions in her face but can't figure out the matter of her getting tense.

»»»»»»

"Avniiii...", scream left his mouth before he could do anything and in another time when he saw Avni was trying to soothe the little puppy who got terrified coming in between the traffic road but what he saw was the blood flowing from her forehead as her head clashed with the tower beside.

Just then, a little girl came running and went away taking her little pet from Avni's hand, who asked her to be careful with the dog.

Neil; his heart thudded with terrible fear and his eyes got filled with tears.
Anything could have happened in those seconds, what if the car would have been in more speed so it could have been Avni in that pet's place.

Not paying any attention to his innumerable cluster of fearful thoughts, he bend down to her level where she was zoned out looking at the particular direction where the car went by.

Maybe her mind traveled to the things that took place in her past and the situation was both times different.

She looked up when she felt his a cloth being pressed on her forehead and she hissed in pain, that's when she noticed the line of blood from her forehead and a huge sigh left her mouth maybe just audible to her because he was lost looking at her state or maybe was trying to digest the turns of events that took place.

"Neil, it's alright. That's just a little cut and so the blood is flowing, nothing huge. Let me, clean it myself", she tried taking away the cloth from his hand but he paid no attention to her actions.

"Shhhh.. let me do it and let's go back. Aj ke liye bohot hogya", he said straight while she sighed continuously asking him to let it be.

»»»»»»»»

A few minutes later, when they reached in front of her apartment past things were sensed in her mind.

Avni groaned in pain as well as frustration, because her apartment was locked and she had forgotten to take her spare keys before leaving in the evening and another one was with Monica, who was yet not home.

"Avni, I guess you should come with me and after dressing your wound, you can come back till then your friend would be back", he approached her with another option and she agreed to it looking at his silent face, which for a reason she was not liking at all.

Reaching up to his apartment, he made her sit on the couch and started dressing her wound blowing air not wanting her to feel pain.

She looked at him closely trying to read him. Why he got so concerned for the slightest things? Why does he always try to cheer her up? But, men are not like him as her mind thought.

Maybe he's someone unique and he's not like them.

He bandaged her wound after applying an antiseptic ointment and gave her the painkiller to soothe the pain. He blew to her elbowed area looking at the bruises and tried applying there but she asked him not to do so as it will get better, to which he sighed away.

A few minutes later, Avni felt sleep overtaking her as the medicine had act and passed out on the couch itself and the other hand, Neil who was sitting on the other sofa talking to her also slept feeling tired.

»»»»»

His eyes flickered open when he heard some sounds with a muffled voice and looked at the painful yet horrific state in front of him.

Avni was drenched in sweat and was continuously moving here and there even in her sleep subconsciously. He came close to hear the voice he could not decipher but tears filled his eyes at her state.

That day, he knew the worst sound he heard was her painful voice.

« ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• »

Maybe, you're liking it or maybe not! I could not understand without getting your reviews.

To those who commented and supported last time, thank you so much and stay on always ❤️

If you vote, comment, share, and repeat then the next update will be at ease! :)

Have a nice day ~

- Aastha!