- Part 5

It was now the evening.

I had just finished picking up the birthday cake I requested from auntie when I visited her yesterday, and was making my way to Taiga's dorm room, which is where we all agreed to rendezvous at before visiting Kawaguchi.

"Yuu-kun! We were just waiting for you!"

Opening the door to let me inside, Taiga greeted me with a grin.

"Hey."

I lightly raised my hand and went inside her room, where everyone else was. It seems I was the last to arrive.

"Now that Takanori-san's here... can we go?"

Tadokoro asked eagerly while clutching her neatly wrapped present close to her chest.

"Sure! Everyone got their presents?" Taiga asked.

"Of course. You got the cake, Takanori?" Akihiro asked.

"Yeah. My aunt came in clutch."

I showed them Kawaguchi's birthday cake. It was a classic strawberry shortcake, which was popular in the west.

"Awesome! Let's rock and roll!" Akari grinned.

"Hell yeah!" Yukimura cheered.

We headed out, using the elevator to go to Kawaguchi's dorm, which was on the first floor.

"Man, I can't wait to see his face when we bust into his room."

As we descended from the fourth floor, Akihiro expressed his excitement for this surprise party.

"He's gonna see you two and think, "what the hell are you doing here"? It's gonna be hilarious!" Yukimura laughed.

"Right?"

"Most of all, I hope it cheers him up seeing you and Akari-san." Taiga said.

"Once I slap the depression out of him with Fuzen it will."

"Ha, it'll be me and my Beast Deities that'll make him wake up and smell the coffee." Akari said.

"Bet. Whoever beats Masaru owes the other lunch on Monday."

"Eeeeeh? Bring it on, nerd!"

We arrived on the first floor and exited the elevator.

"Let's see... his dorm room is 104, isn't it?" Tadokoro pondered.

"Yeah. The rooms were assigned by gojuuon, so he should have the fourth dorm room."

I was the sixth boy in gojuuon order, and I have room 106, meaning the assignment of the rooms were based on register ordering.

"I had 103, and Masaru comes after me, so it checks out." Akihiro said.

"I'll give it a try." Akari shrugged before knocking on the door.

There was no response.

"No one's answering..." Tadokoro mumbled.

"Weird." Akari said.

"Akihiro-san, you visited Kawaguchi-san's place a lot right? Do you remember what room number he had?" Taiga asked.

"Ehh, not really. We usually hung out at locals, I barely went to his dorm."

"Oh... guess we're stuck at square one then."

"Jesus, we suck. How are we meant to throw him a mean ass birthday if we don't even know where the bastard is?" Yukimura growled.

"Maybe he's out right now...?" Tadokoro suggested.

"Nah, I'm pretty sure this is the place. He's probably not answering cuz he doesn't want to talk to anyone right now." Akihiro said.