SS Shinomiya Mai: An Oblivious Kouhai

"Uh... senpai."

As I was making my way home, a meek voice called out to me. I looked behind me and saw that my kouhai, Takanori Yuuto, was quietly approaching me.

"Takanori-kun, how are you?"

I greeted him with a smile, causing him to look away shyly. Recently, I've noticed that he only acts so reserved around me.

For example, when I see him with his friends, he usually has a calm and assertive presence about him. However, whenever he tries talking to me, he always seems to become a little weak and helpless.

I don't mind it though... I find it endearing.

"I'm fine."

He's trying to act casual towards me, but I can tell that he's nervous. His hands are fidgeting inside his pockets and he's struggling to make eye contact with me.

"Do you need something?"

He scratched the scar on his left cheek slightly. I've always wondered how he got that, but I've never asked him. It seems like something traumatic happened in his past that caused it.

Otherwise, what could've happened for him to get such a deep mark carved into his face? I don't want to hurt him by accident digging up old wounds.

"Uh... n-not particularly..."

His voice trailed off and he started walking away stiffly. What a clumsy boy...

"Are you sure?"

"Well..."

Takanori stopped, glancing at me with awkward eyes. Noticing my returning gaze, he looked away and his face started turning red.

"Uh... uh..."

He tried to continue speaking, but wasn't able to. I sighed lightly. Takanori can be adorable at times, but he can also be really oblivious too.

I walked over to him, closing the space between us. People walked past us, staring at us, before making their way home.

"Hm? Could you speak up? I didn't hear you."

Takanori lifted his head slightly, raising his quiet voice just a little bit.

"You're... not with Nibiiro-senpai today."

"Ah. He's hanging out with Onibitenbu-senpai and Itteki-senpai."

"Oh... uh, what about Sanou-senpai?"

"She's with Itsuki-kun and Jouji-kun. They're sorting out something for their next livestream."

"All your friends seem pretty busy..."

"Yeah, they're very passionate about that podcast they have."

Takanori continuously averted his gaze from me.

"Then... you're alone... or, uh, rather... f-free...?"

Even though it was a simple question, he still stumbled and mumbled through his words, trying to get through them as quick as possible to hide his embarrassment.

"Yes, I am. Though, I'm planning on going to the gym later in the evening. Would you like to join me?"

Takanori looked at me slightly and nodded.

"Great! I'll see you then?"

"Uh..."

He uttered, but was actually unprepared in conveying what he wanted to say. Though, I could infer what he wanted based on his earlier question.

I guess it's up to me to take the lead, huh?

"Do you want to hang out with me?"

Takanori's face went dark red.