Chapter 7: Premonition of Victory

Tuesday, 30th June.

The final day of the month was here, meaning tomorrow we'd get our monthly allotment of private points and find out how our class points changed.

However, what everyone was more excited about were the summer holidays that were just around the corner. The 3rd of July would signal the end of our first semester, and our holidays would officially start next week.

I walked into class, taking my seat. Now that finals week was over, everyone was able to relax, and conversations about plans for the summer flew around the class. The anxious air that had been plaguing us disappeared, replaced with a lively atmosphere.

"Good morning, Yuu!"

Yukina greeted me with a smile as she sat down next to me.

"Hey, Yukina."

"Today's the day we get the results of the special exam. How are you feeling?"

"...nervous."

Yukina laughed.

"It's not like you to be so upfront about things."

"It's better than lying and saying I feel confident."

"I guess that's true. Still, you shouldn't be underestimating yourself so much."

"If I keep my expectations low, I won't be hurt when the results are disappointing."

"You've worked really hard to get to this point. You should take more confidence in these upcoming results."

"I wouldn't say I'm a superstitious person, but things usually go wrong when I become confident."

"But being nervous won't help you either."

"I suppose..."

The door opened abruptly, interrupting our conversation. Strolling into class was Chabashira-sensei, carrying a stack of brown envelopes under her arm.

She slammed the stack of envelopes on the teaching podium, catching everyone's attention. Dread filled the air as we realised that she was going to be handing back our grades on the finals.

"Good morning, E Class. Today, I have two sets of results to give to you. The first are these, your personal results."

Chabashira-sensei picked up the envelopes and showed them to everyone.

"Keep in mind that you wrote papers that D Class made, so the grade printed on the letter won't be exactly reflective of where you are right now. However, it is a good indication of your academic level in comparison to their class."

Then, she went around the class distributing them in gojuuon order, meaning Ayano and Ikesugi received their results first.

"Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results."

Chabashira-sensei passed by me, dropping an envelope on my desk. I picked it up and opened it, looking inside.

Takanori Yuuto
Japanese: C+
English: A*
Maths: C
Science: C
History: C+

My results were as expected. I had done extremely well on English, but basically got average on everything else.

I looked around the class to see everyone else's reactions. There were lots of sighs of reliefs and cheers of joy as everyone saw they had successfully (or barely) passed D Class's brutal English exam.

"Oh thank the gacha gods, I passed!"

Mitsuba screamed to the heavens, clutching the letter closely to his chest. However, not everyone was as happy as he was.