- Part 2

It was break time.

I was going to go and meet a certain someone, but Chabashira-sensei discreetly pulled me away to the staff office.

It seems she knows I was the one involved in the knife attack.

Once we were inside a private booth, she gestured for me to sit down.

"I heard what happened from Hyoudou-san. How are you feeling, Takanori-san?"

It was jarring to see Chabashira-sensei seem so concerned about one of her students.

I know that she's not a horrible and sadistic lady deep down, but I still get some whiplash when I see this empathetic side of her.

"Just the usual."

"I figured as much... you didn't even so much as flinch in class this morning when I talked about the knife attack."

Chabashira-sensei looked relieved to see that I wasn't traumatised by what had happened.

"Guess I have nerves of steel."

"You really have changed since when I first met you... you're definitely more cheeky now."

Chabashira-sensei sighed listlessly at my sarcastic remark.

"In any case, you can probably guess why I brought you here."

"Yeah. You want to know more about what happened, right?"

She meekly nodded her head.

"The report you gave conflicted with your aunt's report... I was wondering whether you were hiding something or not."

It was pretty obvious that Chabashira-sensei was doing this under Juumonji's request.

If the superintendent questioned me, I would be more likely to put my guard up and lie.

However, if it's my homeroom teacher, then I'd probably be more inclined to answer truthfully.

In other words, Chabashira-sensei was trying to extract more information from me to inform Juumonji's investigation.

Regardless of what intention she had, I still couldn't tell her the complete truth. I'd just stick with the story I gave Hyoudou that night.

"No, I'm not."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. Whatever story my aunt gave is probably more accurate. She was watching what was happening while I was living it in the moment. My memory is a little fuzzy since it went by so fast."

This would at least serve as an excuse as to why my story may have differed from auntie.

"I see. I'm surprised you managed to fend off your attacker."

"He was sloppy with the knife. So sloppy in fact, I got to knock his mask off and see his face."

"Ah. It did say in your aunt's report that you punched his mask and it split in half. I'm a little surprised you're that strong."

"I'm sure you probably saw my outburst at Ritaka-san back in May."

"I did, yes... but breaking a solid mask in half is definitely more strenuous than taking down another person."

"...what are you getting at?"

I narrowed my eyes, questioning the path Chabashira-sensei was leading me down on.

She hesitated briefly before putting the papers in her hand face down on the table.

"I'll be honest here. Juumonji-san asked me to question you on his behalf, since he believes you're holding back something in your testimony."