Discovery

The two of you were were finally going out.

A couple of days prior you had mentioned that you had wanted to see more of the terrain and natural splendor of Norway now that you were getting comfortable around Tønsberg. That morning Loki found you while you were brushing your teeth. He squeezed you around your middle and said he had a surprise for you and to dress for a hike. You couldn't wait.

It wasn't long after, that Loki was throwing a basket and blankets in the truck and you were piling in wearing boots and jeans and a fluffy rabbit-trimmed parka you had bought in town from a local. It was early autumn, and the weather was still mild by Norway's standards, but it was a far cry from the California heat you were used to. Loki shook his head at how over dressed you were, but you teased him back about his persistently monochromatic ensembles. Black on black on black was all he seemed to wear. Not that you minded much with how it made his eyes stand out. Today was no different, black pants, black sweater, black jacket...so predictable.

You drove for about thirty minutes out of town before parking in a rocky field. The whole of the new territory didn't take much longer than an hour to cross. You must have been flirting with the borders. You got out, loaded up your arms and hiked for about thirty minutes more over mixed terrain on an unmarked path.

Parts of the path were well worn from centuries of use by those who used to live in Tønsberg - the ones who worshiped the Asgardians as gods, although other areas had fallen into disrepair from neglect. There were vestiges of rough-hewn stone stairs along the steeper inclines and boulders bridging the larger dips. You stopped here and there to take in the sweeping views of great craggy peaks and meandering rocky shores. Dark stone contrasted verdant fields and the white tips of perennially frosted mountaintops.

When you finally reached your destination you weren't just breathless from the exertion - it was stunning. You had arrived at a small lake up in the mountains. It was deep and a clear cobalt blue and was made secluded by the great towering boulders around its perimeter. The water sparkled and glinted in the sun. It was a raw and rugged beauty.

Loki laid out a blanket and unpacked the picnic basket. There were handmade breads and jams and cheeses, and even a flask of mead.

"Come," he said and beckoned you to sit with him.

You were steaming in your parka after the hike, he helped you out of it and sat you down in front of him facing the view. He wrapped his arms around you, loaded up a small piece of bread with cheese and jam and held it to your mouth for you to take a bite. You sat like that for a while, snacking and chatting. He told you about all of the Asgardians who contributed to your picnic feast, he told you about how he had found this spot, he told you about everything he knew or had surmised about the long-gone people who used to live here.

He had been so closed off before, but now you were surprised to learn that he had truly loved to talk. You had almost been just as surprised to find out that you loved to listen to him. There was something in the way that his deep gravely voice sounded like it came from his chest, and there was something in the way that he said his vowels out of the right side of his mouth that entranced you. Maybe this was why they called him Silvertongue, or maybe it was something else.

"So how do you like the view, my dove?" He asked, squeezing you from behind.

"It's beautiful," you said, gazing out onto the shifting sapphire water.

"It is," he replied. But he was looking only at you. He planted a soft kiss on your neck as you flushed at the compliment.

"So are you ready to take a dip?" He asked.