Moment of Truth

The sweet spices of the warm cider mixed with the cold briny wind that sailed in through the rolled-down window of Loki's truck. You handed him a small tin mug that you had just poured from the insulated thermos. His fingers lingered on yours for a moment before he pulled the cup away and to his lips. You rolled your head back to the headrest and watched him sip carefully while you let your own cup warm your hands.

Three days until your wedding, and you were going insane from the constant chatter and preparations from friends and family. The whole village, it seemed, was in your house and in your business, and in your head. This moment of stolen, peaceful silence was hard-won. You'd had to distract the crowd and sneak out the back to Loki waiting in the idling vehicle.

After a moment Loki rolled his head back too, and met your gaze. You hadn't had a quiet moment like this since the sky split months ago. He grabbed your hand and kissed it with a smile.

"And what are you smiling about my love?" You teased him with the question. In this moment your heart was full to bursting, what wasn't there to smile about?

"In a few days you're all mine."

"As if I could ever be anyone else's"

"Hmmm, there was a time, perhaps, when this, the two of us, wasn't inevitable."

"But then you found me in that basement and ruined me forever."

He let out a genuine laugh and tugged on your hand.

"Come here," he said, and pulled you over to him. It took some effort, and a slight stumble, but you managed to straddle his lap in the deep seats of the truck's cabin, "I may have ruined you, but you saved me, you know. Saved me from my ridiculous and indulgent self-loathing. From my misguided ideas of birthright. You showed me a new meaning of purpose. I feel like I fell through space and you caught me."

"I remember saving the whole planet pretty clearly, so... you're welcome," the joke was a deflection, as was the kiss you planted on his lips, "you know we'll have plenty of opportunities for vows and confessions in a few days."

"I know, but I can't say all of that in front of everyone else. I needed this moment of calm as much as you. The God of Mischief and Lies needed to tell you the truth."

The hair on your neck prickled when he touched you there, gently pulling your foreheads to touching. His thumb slowly traced your jaw in a soothing pattern. His other hand wrapped around you tight and you pressed your lips against his.

In the cabin of the truck, parked atop cliffs looking over the abundant sea you kissed him. Not like frantic hungry youths, but like two souls in congress - two hearts looking into each other before becoming one.

But there was another point to this outing, and you were gladly letting yourself become distracted from it.

Nerves returned when you finally pulled away from him, catching your breath.

"Loki... there was a reason... A reason I asked you to orchestrate this outing. I have something to tell you too," your words faltered, feeling like every one was trite and cliché and insufficient, " I... I'm going to Tromsø tomorrow. I have an appointment with a doctor there. Like a normal, human, non-Avengers doctor. A you know... A lady doctor. I - I'm ready to have that discussion again. About... about bairn. About kids."

Your skin was burning. What a silly thing to be shy about, after all that had happened. After everything you'd been through. In light of everything you were ready to commit to each other.

"But... what about your concerns? Nothing's changed. I'm still... I'm still technically..."

"A Frost Giant. From space. Yes. Yeah, well I'm not going to bring that up with the doctor, exactly, but... Loki you're wrong. Everything's changed. Everything's changing. I'm tired of being afraid of what I am, and am not capable of. I'm tired of questioning my limits. I'm starting to think that I might not have them... does that sound wild?" His emerald eyes were glistening and his lips pursed, trying to hold back emotions as he listened, "And even if that's just foolish hubris, well, I have faith in you. I have faith in what we can do together, side by side and... I just think you're going to be a wonderful father."

————————————————————————————

He let loose then, pressing his contorted face into her shoulder, letting the tears of relief and joy freely flow.

Father. A strange and charged concept to him. An idea he had a complicated relationship with. But more than King, more than Son, more than God, it was a role that he was eager to fulfill.

He had wanted a throne once. He strived so hard to claim his kingdom, his planet, his world, his purpose. But everything he had ever really wanted was being offered to him now, literally having falling there into his lap.