Epilogue - Literally Magic

The ship rang out in an increasingly urgent series of bells and alarms. An indiscernible number of lights flashed as you rocked back and forth, shaken side to side by an avalanche of blasts.

"Hold her steady!!!" Loki shouted.

"I AM HOLDING HER STEADY. You need to shoot better!" You snapped back, dodging a piece of floating debris.

"I love these little lover's spats," came a remark from the back seat.

"SHUT UP THOR!" You and Loki rang in unison. He was strapped comfortably into his chair holding an unconscious raccoon, and otherwise doing absolutely nothing useful.

Tangled shards of twisted metal and massive chunks of detritus floated through your ship's field of vision while the screen in the shield unhelpfully lit up red with danger and the status of the vessel's defenses. Blue blasts of light came from Loki's direction every time he fired the craft's one remaining functional weapon at your pursuer. With a cobalt pulse and a stutter of the ship Loki fired several shots, one clipping the wing of the trailing spacecraft and one hitting a large chunk of wreckage, splitting it into several sizable flying parts. A large shard sailed straight into the pursuing ship, sending it through flame-filled inertia to crash into other rubble. Another piece, however, was heading straight towards you.

"Hang on!" You ordered pulling up on the steering mechanism then throwing it hart to the left, flinging the ship into a spiraling barrel roll, setting off yet another cascade of questioning alarms.

By the time you regained control of the craft you were free of the flotsam and jetsam, completely turned around in the sparkling void of space, and feeling rather worse for wear from the nausea of the spin.

"What was that little maneuver?" Loki asked with a relieved smile and soft chuckle.

"The Sam Wilson Special," you joked back, feeling the acid of your nausea rise in your throat and along your jaw.

"HAHA! We save Valhalla for another day sister!!!"

Thor's exuberance was almost too much for you in that moment, bile and the remains of your last meal erupted out of you into a helmet left behind by the ship's former pilot. Loki reached for you in concern, but you gently pushed him away.

"I'm alright. Just - still not steady on my space legs," It was impossible to tell which way was up, and you'd found that artificial gravity was a poor and disorienting substitute for the real thing.

It had been a couple of months now, in space. The Avengers had gotten a distressing message from something called Nova Corps and a rag-tag group of assholes calling themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy. If these guys guard the galaxy, you found yourself thinking not once but several times in the past few weeks, then the galaxy is properly fucked.

But Thor had volunteered to answer the call using an experimental vessel Stark had concocted from plans out of secretive files labeled P.E.G.A.S.U.S., and recommended you and Loki to go with him.

"Come on, it'll be like a second honeymoon," Loki insisted, instantly keen on the idea.

"Bora Bora was a perfectly good honeymoon, and one where we had much less of a chance of exploding in Earth's orbit."

"But this is more of an adventure. And I did promise you adventure," his cheeky expression and genuine enthusiasm was hard to say no to, but somehow, you thought, this wasn't exactly how marital vows usually worked.

One thing led to another with the halfwit "Guardians" and you found yourselves separated from the rest of the gang, running for your lives through a gigantic Kree ship, and babysitting an unconscious raccoon. You had to steal a small craft in order to get off and away from the larger vessel before it blew up. So much for a stealth operation, you thought moments before tailing blasts began hitting your hull.