The Mission

"I said no cape!!!" Your tone was reaching exasperation after stating this point so many times.

"But all respectable Asgardians have capes. You'd look spectacular," Loki was poking at you with his opinions now. Playing more than proving a point. Because he could.

"No. Cape." You were fumbling and fidgeting with the straps on your clothing, a bundle of nerves already.

The Avengers had called and told you to suit up, so together, you came up with a suit.

Loki was trying to nudge you towards flair, but every anxious bone in your body was keenly aware of how well you could breathe and move in this new uniform. The deep-v cut into the high collar of your long sleeved shirt made you feel less constricted while still keeping your neck protected from the elements. Your pants were stretchy but thick, and cut tight to your leg with flat leather boots coming midway up your calf. The kris-crossing of leather straps on your harness met in a chevron shape - cleverly mirroring the cut of your collar while still providing ample places to tuck daggers and knives. A leather jacket would protect you from scrapes and the cold, although you found that the cold didn't bother you all that much now.

You were proud of the ensemble that you had come up with. It was comfortable and tactical, and while Loki had helped here and there, it felt modern and clean-lined. It felt very you.

That was until you looked at Loki's outfit once more and realized that every good and practical idea he had contributed was a rip-off of his own signature look. The high-collared v-neck, the chevron-shape of the leather, and even the way the lapel of your jacket turned.

A scowl crossed your face and seconds later a grin crossed his, realizing that you had caught on to his scheme.

"I mean, darling, the cape would really just complete the look," he said. You couldn't help but love him for it. This was the mischief that showed you that he cared.

"Okay smartass, tell me what I'm supposed to do with these last two knives. They don't fit anywhere, and I'm not holding them all day."

"Ah! Yes, let me show you," there was an excited light behind his eyes. Another trick he could show you.

Loki took your hand in his, gently, palm-up and placed a long dagger there. With a little nudge of his own magic the dagger disappeared in a wisp of shimmering light. You could no longer feel or see it, but its presence lingered in the back of your mind.

"You can stash them. Magic them away for retrieval later. Do you get it? Do you need me to show you again?"

"No, No, I think I've got it." You could feel the technique better than he could explain it. Magic was often like that. Once you got a sense of the shape of it, you could manipulate it through feel more than anything. Like music.

You vanished the other dagger, again, its presence lingering faintly in the back of your mind. You tugged on the sensation lightly, like pulling on strings, and then the daggers were once again in your palms, ready for use.

Loki put a finger under your chin and pulled you in for a gentle kiss. Before he closed them you saw the glow of pride in his emerald green eyes. The look made your heart stutter. The butterflies in your stomach joined in chorus with the acid of adrenaline in your veins.

It was really happening. You were going on a mission with the Avengers.

Loki's forehead dropped down to yours and wrapped an arm around your waist to pull you in close. The fingers on your chin now touched the patch of bare skin left exposed by the slit in your collar. He gave a little press against your breastbone, and a a gentle heaviness grew across your chest.