Mo/urning

Panic. Panic and pain. Your entire being ached, your body, your soul. The tiniest of spots that you had never been aware of. And the tubes, the endless tubes in your arms and down your throat. They wouldn't budge. You thrashed against them suddenly becoming aware of their agonizing and foreign presence in your body.

Two large hands grabbed you, pushing you back into the thin mattress of the hospital bed, "Hey, hey, easy, eaaasy, eaaaaasy," it took your panicked vision a minute to recognize Bruce Banner's concerned face, realization dawning on you slowly.

Your bewildered eyes took in the sterile infirmary of the Avenger's compound, the familiarity of the scene helping you steady your tubed breathing. You'd been in there most days during your training with the Avengers, tending to cuts and scrapes and twisted ankles. Now, however, you were strapped into one of the room's hospital beds, a steel table under a flat cushion. You couldn't move enough to assess the damage done to your body, but if you were here, you knew it couldn't be good.

Banner injected a fluid into one of the tubes attached to your arm, "This will help with the pain. But it's good. It's good you're awake now. You've been out for three days," he must have seen the panic flash in your eyes, because he followed, "No, no, it's good. Well it was bad. Actually it was really bad, but you needed the rest. You'll be okay. You'll be fine now, probably. You'll be fine. Here," he moved to take the tube coming from your throat. It wiggled out agonizingly, then you took several ragged, gulping breaths, your body trying to remember how to breathe without it.

"Hhuuggaa," you tried to speak but only a rasping moan escaped your lips

"Here, some water," Banner handed you a small plastic cup that you sipped at gingerly.

"Leh... Looo... Lo-ki..." the two syllables that usually came so naturally to you were now choked out and hoarse.

But like a conjuration, he burst through the door then, full of energy and passion, his appearance casual and wrecked. Stringy curls fell down to the shoulders of a black sweatshirt. His pants crumpled and worn. You had never seen him so distraught, but even like this he was beautiful. A beautiful disaster.

He pushed Bruce to the side and grabbed you, pressing you against his chest. You heaved dry sobs into the soft fabric of his sweatshirt and he let tears flow freely from his eyes.

"I thought... I thought I had lost you," his mouth pressed feverishly against your forehead. You had no response but to sob into him. You too thought you were dying, but your last thoughts had been of him, your last thought had been to pray that he would be alright on his own.

Bruce awkwardly unhooked you from your various I.V. drips and electrodes. You were too busy heaving into the warmth of your lover to mind much his ginger movements and touches. When you were finally free you swung your aching arms up and around Loki, hooking onto his shoulders for fear of collapsing again.

"I'll uh... I'll be back in a bit with some uh, yeah," Bruce backed out of the room leaving you blissfully alone in Loki's arms, not caring how strange or how awkward it was for everyone else.

Loki lifted your face up with his wonderfully solid hands to look at his beautifully existent face. His eyes were red and bleary, and the puffy, darkened bags under his eyes suggested that he had been emotional for days.

He kissed your forehead again, soft and lingering, then each eyelid, then the bridge of your nose - each pass of his lips a tender caress to help you feel whole. When he reached your mouth, you could feel the heat of his tears against your parched lips. You hadn't seen him cry since the night that he revealed himself to you and asked you to go to New Asgard - the last time he thought he might really lose you.