Things Learned

The ceremonial area in the coven was a low-ceilinged cave of a room. The floor was damp, moss-covered earth, lit by candles. It had no windows save for a small opening in the center of the roof directly over a rough-hewn stone fire pit. Velvet cushion-topped tree stumps surrounded the pit making room for twelve or so, though you suspected that rarely it was so many that actually gathered there.

The old woman from the night before sat at one end of the room, and Loki set you down on the seat directly across from her and took the seat to your left for himself. You were clothed now, in your softest sweater and skirt - each fiber still incessantly scraping and prickling your skin - but you refused to relinquish your blanket, its weight the only thing besides Loki's arms that kept your body grounded to reality.

The rest of the Asgardian coven shuffled in and sat - an assortment of women of all ages and sizes and stylings, but each clad entirely in raven-black garments.

The old witch clasped hands with those beside her who, in turn, linked hands with those beside them, and so it went until Loki and the girl to your right were holding you. There was an immediate release of pressure as you felt some of the discomfort flow you through your hands, leaving you with a manageable hum of static.

"Child, Midgard has had a magical awakening, and so too have you," said the crone, "This new power, the Seidr, flows through you, a formidable resource for you to tap into - dangerous if unmanaged, glorious if well-focused. Your awakening was sudden, and you were burdened with too much all at once. We gather here to share your burden, and help you control it. It is the Old Asgardian way of shepherding those who are overcome."

You looked over at Loki to find that he was watching you intently. His body engulfed in a subtle golden shimmer, and his horns manifested glowingly atop his head, framing a sober, reassuring expression. You looked around the room and saw several others passively manifesting colorful shimmers of magic. One witch became encircled in wild flowers and another was joined by the apparition of a great horned owl.

"In time, as your command of the Seidr grows, you may develop some unique manifestations. But for now we must learn the basics of control," your focus returned to the matriarch of the space and you tried to concentrate on her words as she continued to explain, "Think of the pit as a vessel. Imagine filling the vessel with water in a steady stream. Just to the brim. Focus on where you feel your power coming from. Go on."

You looked at her apprehensively, unsure exactly of how to begin. Loki squeezed your hand with his. Broad, and strong and comforting. You took a deep breath and tried to imagine the well of magic inside of you. You tried to imagine as clearly as you could the stone-lined pit in front of you filling with water. Was such a thing even possible? You had witnessed more incredible things in the last few weeks than most would experience in a lifetime. But you were still a mere mortal, weren't you?

Smoke-filtered light spilled into the fire pit from above, like a spotlight on a stage. You concentrated on the basin trying to envision it slowly filling with clear liquid. Eventually there appeared a small spot. Like the first rain hitting dry concrete. Dark but ephemeral. You weren't sure if you were manifesting it or imagining it until it began to grow, slowly into a splash, and then enough to form a puddle. It began to bubble up from the center and with it bubbled up a laugh from your chest. I can't believe this is happening, you thought, I can't believe I'm doing it. The incredulous joy broke the tension you were holding in your body like a worn string. It let the floodgates loose.

The slow bubbling of the water in the basin erupted in a geyser. It shot up through the roof and exploded around the room, extinguishing the candles and drenching the entirety of the coven. You winced, instinctively trying to pull your arms in to yourself for protection. Loki and the witch to your right resisted your efforts, gripping you tight, unwavering, unwilling to break the links in the chain. You felt the pressure ease again as the circle of magic absorbed and steadied your energy, and the crone regained control, dissipating the fountain and drying the room. The candles re-ignited and the witches shared a collective chuckle at your mishap.