Chapter 5 - original

Walker #71619's POV

I ate dinner without really noticing. I was worried about Walker # 76267. I knew how important the walkers were to her, she trusted every walker, I knew that from experience.

When I finished eating I went to the living room, where my whole family sat and watched the news. I watched the news for a different reason than they wanted.

They wanted to know if Walker was caught, and I wanted to be sure no walker was caught.

I never liked news, it bored me, but then my brother 'saved' me when he started talking about a new project he was doing. It was quite interesting, I must admit.

"... caught a walker, the first to be caught ..." I turned (and so did the rest of the family) quickly. No no no, it does not happen. "... the army was involved, of course. They said she even opposed them. A strange move given that the army is very strong." Said the news presenter.

"Well, it's according to sources we've got right there right now." A reporter, who was in an unfamiliar area, answered her. I kept watching the news for about another five minutes, while they talked about what Walker looked like and what to do when meeting Walker.

"... Wait, I'm informed here that they're about to bring her in for questioning here." Said the reporter. "Wait, really in public?" She asked him.

"Yeah, yeah. They probably wanted everyone to know Walker was caught." He answered her, and the photographer aimed the camera at a policeman, who loaded his gun, and then at a large van, into which a man about forty years old, completely bald and in a green uniform, entered.

 After less than a minute he returned, holding the walker tightly. He literally threw it on the floor, then set it up again, but this time grabbed the handcuffs.

I smiled when I saw that she did not stop struggling. "... as you can see, she's struggling. But she doesn't seem to have much power." Said the reporter.

The smile fell from my face. 

he was right.

The policeman aimed his gun at her, and she raised her head. "I'm going to ask you some questions, answer them and everything will be fine. If not ... you know there is a gun aimed at you, yes?" The policeman asked, at least that's what was written in the subtitles.

She nodded slowly, in her eyes I could see pure fear. "I have a question. Do you think walkers are good?" He asked. "And if so, why and for what reason should we believe you?"

The girl turned pale in surprise. It was clear she had no idea why she had gotten into this situation.

She shook her head, apparently answering the first question. "Oh, so you think they're good, eh?" The policeman asked, and the girl seemed to force herself to look at him and nodded slowly.

Apparently he interpreted it as if she was sitting that he was an idiot, because then ...

boom.

The policeman slapped her in the face. After a second she looked back at him.

I felt a strong affection for this girl, who was trying to cope with the situation. "... wow, she's probably really getting on his nerves, don't you think?" Asked the reporter. "Yes, absolutely. This girl seems tough," she replied, and in her voice there was a slight amusement, as if it were a normal thing.

I sat with a feeling of helplessness, looking at the girl, who I just realized was something like thirteen.

"And one last question for me to you, do you know where you're going from here?" Asked the policeman. I noticed a faint glimmer of hope, which disappeared when she did not mark it on her head.

"Here's a little hint. You are not answering us now, and the first walker caught. Now you know?" He asked, getting a little closer to her. Relief filled her face when the officer said no walker was apprehended, but she quickly changed to horror when she realized.

"Very true. Many states, like us for example, have given special permission to use other means than usual against walkers." Said, and probably enjoyed her expression of horror.

The little color she still had left was gone.I did not understand why.

"... and for those who do not know, most states have decided to use extreme measures against the walkers. If a walker is caught, there is a one-time clearance to torture the walkers for information." Said the news presenter.

I turned pale.

I wanted to stifle the news presenter because of the matter-of-fact voice in which she said it. I heard my family say something about it being the best way.

I wanted to scream at them.

She's only thirteen! 

She began to resist again, trying to free herself from the soldier's grip, but all she achieved was another slap.

I could see tears glistening in her eyes, but she still had not stopped. At that moment I knew she would not say a single word to them.

The soldier said something I did not understand, because the subtitles did not translate it. "Well, it's a shame you did not answer questions of your own free will. And stop moving, Kibinimat!" Said the soldier. What the hell is Kibinimat?

He kicked her in the leg. She fell to the floor, but the soldier simply set it up again and dragged it back to the van. The policeman and the two soldiers guarding the girl on both sides entered, and the van started.

"... as you can see, it's over. For now there are no more details about the girl, but we will keep you updated ..." I stopped listening.

I got up and started walking towards my room. "She deserves it, you do not think so, Mahira?" My brother asked me.

I stopped and turned to them. I guess I should have lied to them, but I'm a proud walker, and a proud walker is not lying about it, he's trying to help.

"No! She does not deserve it!" I did not notice that I shouted, until I saw everyone's surprised look. "She's only thirteen! No matter what the reason, she doesn't deserve to be tortured!" I shouted angrily, not letting their gazes stop me.

I turned around and went to my room. I unlocked the phone and entered the platform.

There was a message from the T34M 4L4N and a voicemail from Walker #0.

I first entered a message from T34M 4L4N.

"For all the walkers, pay attention.

We need to unite. During this week, we and other walkers who will volunteer, are going to pick up the walkers to a safe place. The list of countries and collection dates is below. Try to get to your country's capital. If not, that's fine. We'll pick you up later.

We've created a map where you can put your ID number so you can go from place to place and it will appear on the map (do not worry, it's completely safe). Put it on and look for walkers in the area. Walkers in your area set up a meeting point with him. Talk to walkers you know who do not check the platform often and ask them to read it.

Remember walkers, you are not alone, we are unity.

Walkers join."

Pick-up time in India will be in two days at three in the afternoon.

I got on the map and did what T34M 4L4N asked for. I talked to some walkers who were in a relatively close place, and we arranged to meet at two-thirty, half an hour before the walkers were picked up from the capital.

I tried talking to Walker #76267 again to find out how she was and if she was going to join.

She did not answer.

wired.

 I remembered there was a message from Walker #0. I put on my headphones.

"Hello Walker #71619. It's time. During this week we will bring all the Walkers to safety. Check the latest post, there you will see the details. Keep a low profile. It's time to unite. Walkers join."