Chapter 8 - original

Walker #80485's POV

Walker #71619 advised me to go to the clinic tomorrow, to make sure I was not seriously injured and to relax from the stress I was under.

I had a hard time falling asleep. I still could not believe I was really here, and everyone here is a walker. This is amazing. And, okay, also because I was still thinking about what-would-happen-if.

 I fell asleep. I got up and checked what time it was.

9:17. Nice.

I put on Walker's hoodie and got ready to go to the clinic.

Until I remembered that I have no idea where she is.

Well done, already at the beginning of the first day you got lost. "Good Morning." I heard Walker #71619. "Good morning Walker" I replied to her. "You can call me Mahira." She told me. "Another second you go back to sleep, get up already. But okay." I told her as she changed position to continue sleeping.

"Yeah, well, I also prefer to call everyone by his ID number. It gives me the feeling it's not a dream." she said. "Yeah, that's why I call you Walker #71619. And also because it's easier to remember for some reason." I answered nervously. 

It annoyed me that she did not get up.

""Mahira, it is late, now 9:20 in the morning." " Okay okay I get up "she said and went down the ladder.

" Fine, it's time really. "I said and started walking towards the clinic.

I forgot I did not know where it was." Walker? Do you know where the clinic is? "I asked her." Come with me "she told me. She put on a walker's hoodie and we started walking down the hall. Are the walker okay? We got to the common room.

I'm still not used to the amount of walkers that are here.

The hallway is heading north, and the elevator was right in front of us, on the south side. She brought me to the northeast corner, and put her hand on the wall. A blue light appeares around the opening and the iron went into the wall.

We went down the ramp, and reached another wall. She did it again, but this time the floor and walls were not light gray.

It was white. Cool.

We walked down the hall. We reached a tall walker, with curly black hair.

It took me a moment to recognize that this was the walker who came with me to the capital. "Hey Archi" I said and smiled.

"Oh, hey. What are you doing here?" He asked. "I brought her to the clinic to make sure she had no injuries and to lower her stress level." She said, looking at the leg that jumped, like every time I was nervous.

He brought me to the room and told me to wait here.

The room was white too, and like the other floors it looked natural.

There was a bed in the middle, and a dresser next to it. There was also a chair. I sat in bed. I was bored so I decided to watch the news, in conflicting hopes.

On the one hand I wanted to know what her condition was, and on the other hand if it got to the news it was not a good sign.

"... and yes, news has finally arrived regarding the condition of the captured walker, a reporter is at the moment with a member of the government next to him. We will see the interview," the news presenter said.

A screen appeared, and the reporter began to speak English. "Hello sir, do you have any up-to-date information you can give us?" Asked the reporter. The man looked nervous. "The truth is that there is not much to say. She herself has not said anything yet and we can not take the mask off her face." said.

"What do you mean you can not take the mask off her?" Asked the reporter, certainly confused, like me. "What you heard. We tried every possible way, it's just not possible." Said the man and was still nervous.

"I just got back from there, I'm supposed to do a check on progress. They asked me to raise the level. I'll talk to that with the other cabinet members." he said.

The article is over.

"Okay, so here are in the studio again with Henry. Henry, what do you think of the article? Doesn't it seem a little strange to you that the army can't take off a simple mask?" Said the news presenter, in the same matter-of-fact voice that angered me.

"Yeah, so the truth is it's pretty weird, but I'm not surprised. As everyone knows, the Walkers are dangerous and unpredictable people ..." I turned off the TV.

It's better to get bored.

So the walker is fine? Like ... if she doesn 't say anything, then it's a sign she's getting along, right? It's not that she really has anything to hide.

Walker enters while also Walker #71619. They asked me to tell them what happened. I was confused at first because Walker #71619 knows what happened, but I told.

I arranged to meet with Walker, who later told me he was #62691.

We started walking towards the capital, occasionally by bus or car and occasionally on foot.

We left for safety two days before the pick-up time, and luckily, if not, we would not have arrived on time.

In the capital it was a problem because we could not walk around, so we went through the alleys until Walker #62691 suggested that if we separated, the risk would be smaller.

Then I was caught, because when I passed a corner I came across a car of policemen patrolling the city.

They recognized me as a walker and they caught me.

And from here you already know.

When I got to the part where we sang "Alone" the walker laughed. When I finished the story I noticed that I relaxed.

The walkers told me to go eat something, then left.

I walked towards the dining room. There was only one thing I thought about.

Potatoes.

Walkers right in the potato section.

How can you be sure?

We even have a warehouse full of potatoes!

I got to the dining room and put potatoes on my plate.

I will never get tired of eating potatoes.

I scanned the room and soon found Walker #62691 and Walker #71619. I sat down next to them. They were arguing about something, but I did not want to go in either so I did not even ask.

After a while we finished our lunch. "Come on," Walker said #71619. "The tattoos need to be done." "What? What tattoos?" I asked in a little fear.

"Do not worry, these are not really tattoos. It is to identify each other. They will put one in our arm. Then we will have to do something, I'm not sure what, but then they decided to do another one in your hand. They will explain us later, i do not know so much" She reassured me.

We started walking to the common room, where Walker was supposed to be waiting for us, and also (I don't know why) Alan Walker himself. 

But I could not help but notice that Walker #71619 is silent and looks nervous and confused.