14: A Leader's Journey

A warm summer breeze descends to the inner courtyard of a large house, old and eaten away by time itself, the gentle wind encounters the bright emerald leaves of the lush tree standing there, and now weakened, gently caress the skin of the two hybrids chatting under the shade of the century-old tree.

The talk between them was energetic and enjoyable, for it had been a long time since the two of them had spent time together.

Zenda and Ciro talked about their daily adventures, enjoying the juicy details that good gossip could offer from time to time. The pleasant talk was accompanied by tea, snacks, and an arrangement of fresh wildflowers that Ciro himself collected before the arrival of his special visit. The jovial blue Porsche had tried to win Zenda's heart a few weeks ago, and he had no hard feelings when Zenda rejected him. Still, his affection for her was special, and he didn't waste an opportunity to show her.

This affection extended to Zenda's only son, Darius. Although Ciro had never interacted with the boy - for the young man seemed to avoid him on purpose - he did not need to talk to him to know Darius was a very special boy. Honest, modest, kind, with an impeccable sense of justice, and extraordinarily intelligent, those were some of the qualities that Ciro liked the most about the young LaFerrari. But if there was something that stood out about the young man, it was the naturalness with which he made others follow his example and follow him. His gaze radiated leadership to any corner of the refugee camp he was in, and that made Ciro happy.

- I know it may sound a bit out of context, but I must say, your son never ceases to amaze me. The other day I saw him helping a woman who had trouble preparing the soil for her garden. Usually, a hybrid would be offended if a human asked for help with such tasks, you know, as if they were using us as "slaves" again, but Darius ... wow, Darius seemed to accept the mission eagerly, and did all the heavy duty so she wouldn't get hurt. And not only that, but other hybrids also his age started helping too! That is something I have never seen here. I bet you must be proud of him, maybe, with his leadership example, this community can finally unify. Can you believe it? Your boy will be a great leader! -

Normally, she would give a proud and sweet smile, she would close her eyes not knowing how to accept praise for the good work she did as a mother, and she would blush slightly... but this seemed to be an exception; Zenda rather seemed irritated at the harmless compliment, creating confusion in Ciro who was starting to feel uneasy.

- Uhm, did I ... did I say something wrong? - Ciro couldn't understand the unusual reaction of the female in front of him -... I just wanted to say that your son is a great leader, Zenda, he inspires people to be more inclusive, and I think that's phenomenal.

- He is just a naive child who does not know what life is like ... one day all that kindness will play against him. - The gesture of hers tenses in an instant, in a mixture of rage and distress, strange to see in her so suddenly - ... The faster he learns he cannot go through life helping everyone, the better.

The once pleasant talk now had drowned in a dense and deep silence, the tensest moment that Ciro has had to spend in the company of Zenda. His mind simply did not allow him to understand what he had just heard, he tried to spin the words over and over again in his head, but nothing made sense to him, because it was no longer a simple misunderstanding, or a different opinion, no, It was about a loving mother who has suddenly become hostile towards her adult son's especially important achievements... It didn't make sense, there must be something else between the lines.

- I don't think I understand why you say that about your son. Believe me I'm trying... But I can't understand why it would be a bad thing for your son to be an example to others.