6: On the way home

The bunker was deceptively big, appearing to be completely empty with only four gray walls of at least four meters high, more like an old bunker that looked like a hangar. The walls hid secret and unfolding drawers that kept all kinds of things, like medical equipment, supplies, clothing, armor for both humans and hybrids and weapons that could be considered somewhat rudimentary, as there were only spears, bows, crossbows and various types of knives that could be used for close combat or there were also smaller ones capable of being thrown. I never saw any firearm or gun inside the bunker.

After Tori had finished analyzing me medically with a bunch of medical instruments (and she deduced that I was healthy) she kept those things in their respective compartments, while I helped Adara to carry some things for the trip that we still had to do to reach Cilt, although she had told me that it would not be more than an hour before we arrived, it was never too much necessary precautions. We would cross through a place where Vortex attacks are common and we have to be prepared.

I was given the task of carrying a backpack full of some things like dehydrated food, a raincoat and an extra pair of socks... I am afraid that they will leave me in the middle of the forest with those things and put my survival instincts to the test. While Adara is equipped herself with protections for her legs and shoulders because she was already using a lighter armor for her torso. She equipped Tori with a frontal protection attached to her forehead and nose which had prominent blades on the sides and front with which she could easily slice the flesh of anyone who dared to fight against her. It was clear that their work as hunters is very serious for them, especially in matters of security. I try not to get in the way while both are getting ready, and it is not until the preparations end until I am allowed to go out of the bunker once and for all.

Adara is the first to leave, preparing an arrow in her bow ready to be fired if necessary, Tori stays inside the bunker with me, both seemed really intent on protecting me for some reason, I did not know if it really was so dangerous to go outside like this in the forest or simply was their routine to have to take care of someone like me who, with a bit of luck, managed not to trip over every branch or stone that was in the forest. I do not know why, but I felt uncomfortably overprotected by them.

A couple of eternal minutes pass since Adara comes out to inspect the outskirts of the bunker, but I can finally breathe fresh air again after her return. Outside, the weather was quite cold, possibly because of the storm that had hit the city at night and that had spread to this remote area of ​​the forest. It was strange how in spite of always living next to the forest I never felt so insignificant inside it, not like this, kilometers of trees covered land as far as the eye could see, giving me the inevitable feeling that anything could be hovering in the thickness of the vegetation, making me understand now why to take extreme precautions when leaving the bunker. It was necessary if we don't want to end up as some hungry Vortex's dinner, and Adara and Tori seemed to know that perfectly.

Adara seems to inspect the forest for a few more moments while accommodating a small bag at her waist where she carried a few knives of those that can be thrown, as well as inspecting the edge of the spear that seemed to always carry with her, this had a thin structure and it had striking metal tips at its ends, of which only one seemed to have a sharp edge and a pair of extra spikes specially designed to dig into the enemy's flesh and prevent it from being easily removed, the other end had a simple leaf form, not so threatening and dangerous. I was so distracted watching her that I barely noticed that Tori was calling me.

- Come on kid, I want to get to Cilt this year, preferably - Tori opens one of her doors waiting for me to enter, which was famous for not having seats or any interior things that non-hybrid cars have. Hybrids only have a cavity in their body where their spine is the first thing that comes into view, as well as their skinny build of their ribs and shoulders, which are visible from the inside, covered with black skin. I had already seen the inside of the hybrids in photographs, but I have to admit that seeing it in person is not a very pleasant experience, and I do not know why.