19: The Exchange

I remember the day I knew he had died.

An agent from the Metropolis knocked on our door on a Tuesday morning to give us the news.

My mother had no reaction.

She saw no excuse for not sending me to school that day.

I locked myself in the school bathrooms.

Drowning in my own tears.

If not for a teacher hearing me cry, my mother would have completely forgotten that she had a son.

A son of Marcus Hopper.

- Tyler...breathe. Easy. -A whisper in my ear makes me aware of my breathing. I was hyperventilating. But it hadn't been a whisper; It was Iker who was speaking to me from his communicator.

My hands are locked in the same position. I feel my guts tremble from within. Involuntary tears soak the inside of my helmet.

- ... Dad... -I call him delicately, as if trying to wake him up from his peaceful dream. The tortured man hangs suspended from his bloody lab coat, impaled on the fangs of the White Terror.

His hand moves voluntarily, and that's enough for me.

For me, he has revived.

Neyzan. Leader of the Vortex, and the Warlord.

His people call him his liberator. We, call him enemy.

A sadistic tyrant who has played his cards well up to this point.

Lamborghini Aventador with deadly eyes of fire, and ash gray skin of a walking corpse.

He wears the scarred Vortex mark on his forehead as a proud crown, a banner of skin and blood, made at the cost of his innocent victims.

Genocidal, with a delusion of divinity and greatness.

- Long time no see you, and after all, I never forgot your face... -Neyzan speaks delightfully, directing his words towards Kassia as if she were an old friend-... I hope you haven't forgotten about me.-

- Save your comments for another time. I'm here to do business, nothing more. -With the confidence of a queen on her throne, Kassia speaks imperturbable in the face of the lord of the Vortex, who does nothing but continue to show his arrogance and disrespect-

- Sure. Of course. Business. -Neyzan laughs to himself, mocking Kassia's seriousness. Once he's had enough, he changes his face dramatically to a stern and frightening look, with eyes that burn like melting steel -...Then, let's get into business. I showed you that the old man is alive, now show me the key. -Neyzan turns to see the hybrid to his left, the Lamborghini Veneno turns to see him out of the corner of his eye without any expression on his features-... I took the liberty of bringing an expert with me, if you don't mind.

The burgundy-skinned, gray-eyed Veneno walks calmly in our direction, the squad raises their guard, and the Rangers ready their weapons in the direction of the white-tattooed Vortex. I did the same.

- Leader Darius... He has brought Killian to the exchange. Tori informs Darius through her comlink, suppressing a growl as she speaks-

- The ex-Scientist?

- ... Affirmative. -Tori's voice shakes, unable to take her eyes off the approaching Vortex-

Darius keeps the line silent for a few seconds, long enough for the Vortex, Killian, to have already covered half the space between us, stopping right in the middle of the intersection where both sides have met. Waiting patiently for our next move.