10: Crossfire

I dont know how many hours passed since I took shelter in the room, but I had no intention of knowing either. My head was as upset as my emotions, and with it my stomach. Excessive stress tends to wreak havoc on my health from time to time, and this was no exception. At least I hoped Iker was a little better, wherever he was right now, although I had a suspicion that he must have sought refuge in the forest, as it seemed to be the only place where no one could disturb him.

I tried to distract my brain with one of the books I could retrieve, one of them temporarily caught my attention.

"Hybrid behavior

vol.2

Social interactions between hybrids and humans"

Marcus .H

As if it were a bad joke, most of the books I had in my possession at that moment were about hybrids, although honestly I could not expect any other type of content in my father's books, hybrids were what had given meaning to his life. But I wanted nothing to do with hybrids right now, at least not for the next thirty minutes. I just wanted to silence my thoughts and be able to get some sleep even though I wasn't sure if it was already night, or if the sun was still high, it was the least important right now.

My head couldn't decide between my feelings of sadness, loneliness, disappointment, disgust or anger ... rather it was a combination of all of them, and it saturated my brain every time I thought about it again. I considered the idea of ​​leaving the room to get some fresh air and clarify my ideas, but that involved interacting with more people, who curiously would start asking me questions, and I was not in the best mood to answer them. Besides, I wasn't sure that the rain had stopped already. This same room that was once a relief after being locked up in my home in the Metropolis, now began to look like this last one little by little; lonely, depressing and silent.

I found some bittersweet comfort in remembering that I kept a photograph of my father with me. I was afraid the water would have spoiled it, but fortunately it had been kept safe in my shirt pocket, which I had left to dry outside for a few hours. I take the delicate, wrinkled photograph in my hands, one of which is bandaged and sore. I retain every inch of that photograph in my memory, as if it were a beautiful memory that never happened. I see my face in him, and it is difficult for me to see his eyes any longer, even if it was only a photograph. My throat couldn't hold back crying any longer, and my eyes finally gave up to let just a couple of tears pass, before everything was as quiet as before.

The silence began to pierce my head with a high pitched beep that only I could hear, and just when my nerves of being alone had calmed down, an unexpected noise shook my heart again. The automatic lock on the door had been activated from the outside.

Surprise steals my breath for a moment, making me jump off the ground, not knowing what had happened. The door then begins to open slowly, pushed by a hybrid with a blank look, eyes turned slightly red by crying, and pale soggy skin, Iker was unrecognizable at the time.

His sudden appearance leaves me speechless, suffocated by the deplorable appearance of my friend. Neither of us says a word in the long minute that Iker made eye contact with me, and then to the ground, alternating for that long minute. Finally Iker kept his gaze down and sighed heavily, raising a small cloud of dust in the process.

- I have come to talk to you ... I need you to accompany me.- He turns his green eyes back to mine, giving me a slight shiver.- There are many things that I want to tell you about.-

The path was silent and full of uncertainty, although at least there was no one waiting in line to get on the elevators. Everyone was already resting, taking shelter from the rain that had finally stopped. There was still a bit of light outside and the sky had cleared, turning orange, and luckily the weather was a little warmer than in the morning.