Chapter 29

"Hey, I'm outside." Isaac said through the phone.

"Okay, I'll be right there. I'm just putting some things into my locker. Give me 5 minutes." I said into the phone that was squeezed between my head and shoulder as I used both of my hands to fix the things in my locker.

"Alright, I'll be at the parking lot at the right side of the exit." Isaac said.

"Okay." I replied before the line went dead.

Once I finished sorting my things out, I dropped the phone from my shoulder and

Once I finished sorting my things out, I straightened my head and let my phone fall from my shoulder to my hand.

I shut my locker door close and opened my phone, about to text Isaac that I'm on my way before I bumped into someone.

"Ouch."

I looked at the girl who made the sound.

Renee.

Shit. If she's here, he might be around.

"Sorry," I apologized quickly, rising to my feet and helping her up before dusting myself off.

"Are you okay?" She asked me.

I smiled at her, slightly distracted as I looked around to make sure that he wasn't anywhere nearby.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm sorry, are you okay?" I finally looked at her once I've made sure that the person I wanted to avoid wasn't anywhere to be found.

She nodded. "Yeah, it wasn't a bad fall."

My eyes took another look around and decided that it would be best for me to bolt before the universe decides to play tricks with me.

"If you're okay, I'll take my leave now." I said, ready to bid my goodbyes.

"Wait!" She grabbed my upper arm, stopping me.

I hissed softly as my that area where she grabbed me throbbed lightly.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry. Are you okay? You're hurt." She immediately let go of my arm as she apologized, looking concerned.

I looked down at the part where she had grabbed me and saw a bruise forming.

I grimaced lightly at the pain but forced a smile through it to not worry her. "It's alright, it's just a small bruise. It'll be gone before you even know it."

Renee didn't look convinced but I guess I did look like I was in a hurry since she finally nodded, letting me go. "Alright, if you say so. I'm really sorry, though."

I shook my head, smiling at her, "Don't be, it's fine. It was my fault anyways."

"What was your fault?" A voice that I didn't want to hear ask from behind me.

I could feel the edges of my lips fall as my smile immediately disappeared, unintentionally flashing Renee the drastic change in my expression.

I could see Renee's curious look after she witnessed my sudden change and her eyes flickered to the person standing behind me.

"Alex," Renee greeted.

I bit my lip, my hopes that it wasn't him standing behind me gone in the blink of an eye.

"Hey, babe." Alex said.

I licked my dry lips and turned around to face him.

I wanted to say something but my throat had suddenly gone dry and I was scared that I'd croak instead of speak if I tried to talk right then.