Chapter 1

"We'll have to go our separate ways for college soon." I typed in my thoughts and sent the text through.

"Yeah." He agreed.

"But we're still gonna be best friends, right?" I texted.

"Of course." He texted back.

"Pinky Promise?"

"Yeah, pinky promise."

~•~•~

4 years later

I stumbled out the door in my heels and felt someone catch me before I could face plant the ground.

The air was a bit chilly but it was still bearable. I caught a whiff of smoke from the burning cigarettes of teenagers that were lounging in the yard, away from the loud music.

I raised my head and giggled at the sight of him. "You look stoopid." I slurred.

He smirked, his hand firmly placed on my waist as he pulled me against his body.

Now, now. Yes, I'm drunk. But was I drunk enough to be stupid drunk? No, I was not.

I shook him off me, staggering to stand up on my own. The heels were hurting the balls of my feet and it was almost impossible to balance myself on them. I abruptly dropped down to a squat, bringing the entirety of my body weight down and shocking the guy that was holding me. He took half a step back from me with his hands raised in surrender, as if to say he didn't do anything to me.

I scoffed at his gesture while my fingers fumbled with the straps of my heels, trying to undo them.

The guy crouched beside me as he tried to see what I was trying to do. When he inched closer, his hands reached out to me, and almost inmediately, my hand shot out to stop him, halting his movements. I turned to face him, my eyelids half-closed as I tried to fight against the drowsiness that was starting to hit me full force.

"I can do it," I told him sassily.

He raised his eyebrows before raising his hands again in surrender and moving back.

I went back to work on the straps. When I finally got them off, I hooked the straps to my fingers and straightened up. I shook my feet, trying to ease the pain on my feet. The balls of my feet felt raw, as if a blister was forming.

As I stood there, trying to get used to the pain on my feet, a few other guys burst through the door behind us, leaving the party that was at full swing, and jumped the guy that was with me.

"Ty! You leaving already?" One of them greeted as he gave Ty a back hug.

Since I didn't know them, I decided to ignore them and started trying to walk gingerly instead.

When Ty saw me walk away, he caught up with me, his friends on his trail. He slung his hand across my shoulder and brought me closer to his side.

"You're drunk, babe, let me get you home."

Babe?

I was tempted to make a face at the pet name but the alcohol was making everything feel heavy. I couldn't even gather enough energy to move my facial muscles.