Chapter 34

"No! We haven't even tried talking this out!" I argued, chasing after him as he headed for the door.

"Look, Em, the only reason I came here was to avoid being a dick that breaks up with you through the phone. What difference is talking it out going to make anyways? It's not like it did anything for us in the past. Nothing changed. You don't change."

My vision was starting to get glassy. I felt my heart throb as his words hit deep. I felt empty and helpless. What was I supposed to do? How do I change? How do I make him stay?

"And what do you want me to do, Isaac?! I told you I'll try to change!" I shouted. It was my last resort.

"That's just it! You keep on saying that but you've been saying it for so long and I don't see any changes! What am I supposed to make out of that? That you don't care enough about our relationship to make an effort in fixing your bad habits?" Isaac shook his head. "God, look what you made me do the last time you made a mistake. Now, if your parents or friends find out, I'll probably be the bad guy for not seeing you home."

I bit my lip, remembering how Beth reacted when she found out, my heart grew heavy with guilt. Isaac saw the look on my face and gave out an ugly snort. "Oh, of course you already told someone. You probably told the entire fucking neighborhood. Go ahead! Isaac Fucking Payne is a fucking asshole, everyone! Go ahead and run your mouth like you always do, Em!"

Tears were starting to spill from my eyes at this point and the guilt was consuming me. My hands started trembling and I quickly took a handful of the hem of my dress to cling onto. I was at a loss for words, the heaviness of the weight settling on my heart was too much for me.

"I'm sorry," I whispered out, not knowing what else to say.

"Oh don't be. I'm sure you take joy in gaining their pity and watch them spite me. Sometimes I wonder if you really love me as your boyfriend. I mean, who the hell enjoys seeing people shit on their boyfriend? Or do you simply not think of the consequences of what you say to others?"

I closed my eyes and tried my best to remember to breathe. It was getting harder and harder by the minute. Every word that he said struck me and I wanted to scream that it wasn't true. I wanted to defend myself, but I didn't want to make things worse by arguing.

"Let's stop here. I don't want to point fingers any longer. Let's preserve what good is left of our relationship and part ways in the best way possible." Isaac stated, raising his hands to show that he's done and walking backwards towards the exit.

"No, Isaac, stop. Let's just sit and talk about this. We can work it out." I insisted, my arms flying to cling onto his arm before I could process my actions.

He can't leave me.

Isaac shook me off, shaking his head again before opening the door and leaving me on the living room floor alone.

I looked around the empty space with tears streaming down my face and started to sob uglily, covering my face to somehow hide from reality.

"And that's when you came in." I concluded with a sniff, wiping my tears away with the tissue that Beth had passed me.

"What?" Beth said, blinking once; then twice, as if she can't believe what she just heard.

I shrugged, wiping my runny nose. "That's what happened."

"Well that's stupid," Beth muttered. If I was in my right mind, I would have agreed that what I did was stupid. Everything I did at this point was probably stupid.