Chapter 37

My phone suddenly rang, causing me to look away from the TV screen that showcased the different ways you could hack away at zombies.

Isaac: Can we meet?

"Beth.." I called out.

Beth hummed from my side as she shoved a spoonful of ice cream into her mouth.

"He just texted, asking to meet up," I passed my phone on to her, watching her reaction.

"Do you want to go together?" Beth asked. I quietly took my phone back and stared at the text for a second before nodding slowly.

Lily had left earlier in the afternoon to meet up with her own friends so it was just Beth and I left in the house.

"Okay, ask him where he wants to meet. Let's go and get this over with." Beth said, putting the lid to her ice cream tub back into place and sealed it. She turned the TV off and stowed the tubs away back into the fridge while I texted Isaac my reply.

As I waited for Isaac's text on where he wants to meet up, I stared at the frozen image on the TV screen and thought about what I was going to say to him.

I knew that it was time to put an end to things with Isaac, to stop clinging onto him, to finally let him go.

What Alex had said about him was only a small part of the reason why I was so sure about my decision.

His unfaithfulness was on the bottom of my list.

No.

The biggest reason was how he had hinted at the things we had done in private to Alex and Beth despite knowing that I was uncomfortable with it. 

It was how he had made it sound like I was damaged goods just because I had given my first time to him.It was then that I began to realize that he was the one who had planted the seed of my biggest fear: to be worthless in the eyes of everyone else.

I trapped myself into staying with him because I thought then no one else would want me if he left me.

He was the only one who had wanted me when Alex didn't and at the time, Alex represented my everything. 

Isaac had appeared as my saving grace, and when your saving grace plants the seeds of doubt regarding your self-worth, you start questioning your self-worth.

I shook my head to rid myself of the thoughts. Regardless of what I had done out of desperation in making him stay, I was going to let it all go down the drain that night.

"I got the location, let's go." I called out to the direction of the kitchen, grabbing my keys.

We got into the car.

The bar where we were supposed to meet was 10 minutes away so it was a fairly short drive.

"You ready?" Beth asked, unbuckling her seatbelt. I could feel her gaze on me but I focused on my breathing instead.

"I can do this." I murmured to myself lowly before turning to Beth for some reassurance. "I can do this, right?"

Beth nodded, "I've got you."

I nodded, unbuckling myself and turning the car's engine off.

We both know what's going to happen tonight.

Isaac was going to apologize and try to make amends and I was probably going to step in there, ready to cut him off but chicken out at the last minute and let him off the hook.

It happened several times before but it's the first time I've ever brought Beth along.

This time, though, I'm done. We both know that this time, it's over for good.