Extraction

The city of metropolis was mere moments away from total destruction. The shadow of Brainiac’s skull ship loomed over the great city, tearing the many buildings apart as it abducted the proud city from the foundation.

Screams and death spiralled throughout the city as debris and buildings were brought into the air. Skull soldiers cornered and killed any mere citizen that wasn’t good enough to be collected…

One lone hero roamed the streets.. One of the most powerful sorcerers on earth… Dr. Fate. Though Kent Nelson had control over his body, it wasn’t absolute… The man reached out, gracing his fingers along the rubble and debris as a look of sorrow dawned his facial features. As he walked by a clutter of rocks, he noticed a citizen was trapped beneath it. A woman with her son… The mother desperately tried to hold up the boulders and rocks, but was failing. As she tried to help her son to safety, Fate foresaw that neither would survive… Both mother and son would soon be crushed and killed by the debris that weighed down upon them…

“You.. p-please.. Help my son..!” The mother begged. Tears streamed down her features as the son tried desperately to help, but it only delayed the inevitable... 

All he’d need to do is utter a mere word.. Invoke a simple spell. He could even reach out and lift the boulders himself. If he was allowed to, then he’d be able to save them... 

Knowing this, he reached out to save them.. To be a hero… until a familiar voice called out…

“No.”

Nabu, the god within the helmet pulled Kent’s hand back, allowing him to watch what was left of a family get buried under several boulders, cement, and debris…

Stepping back from the bodies, Kent Nelson was horrified. At the display that played before him… All that had remained of the son was the crippled, broken hand that had reached out to him in his last few seconds…

Why.. Why won’t you..” Kent mumbled before reaching out to the helm of Nabi, staring into its empty eyes… “Why won’t you let me save them.. Why won’t you let me fight? How could there be order if Brainiac wins?!” Kent shouted, clenching the sides of the helmet with his bare hands…

“Humanity is a disease. It breeds chaos… Brainiac is Order!”... Hearing this response, knowing that Earth’s most powerful sorcerer wasn’t going to help, filled Kent Nelson with dread… A feeling that would push him to give a hero another push so that Earth can be saved…

The Batwing could be seen soaring through the skies of Metropolis. Catwoman was with Bruce, who left the Arkham Knight in Gotham to recover from the stab wound.

“Superman and Supergirl will be here shortly. The others are attacking the fleet” Catwoman stated. “Are you sure we couldn’t have stayed in Gotham? Your buddy might need some help.”

“I have Brother Eye keeping a close eye on him if he tries anything, as well as the Batcave as a whole. Brainiac also controls his fleet from within his skullship. Take him down, and the others will fall shortly after. Now brace yourself.” Batman warned, preparing himself to attack the skullship directly.

To retaliate, Brainiac sent out a small fleet of ships to strike back. Each ship fired several beams and shot at the Batwing, which easily dodged the heavy fire. Superman and Supergirl were both capable of making quick work of the ships with ease. Once most of them have been destroyed, Batman attempts to fire several missiles out toward the Skullship. What caught the heroes by surprise was when Batman’s missiles caused the skull ship's shields to strike back with just as much force, flipping the Batwing upside down. Before Batman and Catwoman were to injured, Superman managed to catch the Batwing and flip it over.

“What just happened?”

“Brainiac’s force shield is creating a concussive feedback loop.”

“So the harder we hit it, the harder it hits back..”

As Superman was starting to understand, Supergirl flew past the heroes and reeled back her fist to deliver a punch. One with all of her strength. No holding back. Such power behind that punch caused the counter attack to stun Kara, and Superman. It was powerful enough to link them both together and launch them both down to the ground, knocking them out for a brief period of time…

This amount of time gave Brainiac the chance to continue the abduction and extraction of Metropolis… leaving a giant crater where it once was…

The two kryptonians laid unconscious on the ground, covered in dust and rubble as Superman slowly began to get up. As he got up, he used his x-ray vision to see if he was alive… Once he was able to confirm that Kara was still alive, Superman flew back toward Metropolis…

Once he arrived, his eyes widened.. All he saw was a burning crater where Metropolis was supposed to be… Shouting out in fury, He flew straight to the skullship and crashed into it. Though he did get hit back by the shield, he endured the hit and attacked again.

“Superman! The force shield concentrates its energy toward the point of attack. Move faster than it can and you might break through!” Batman advised. 

“Got it.” Superman glared, striking the shield again. Using a mixture of his speed and strength, he was capable of seemingly striking multiple areas at once, even damaging the skullship a bit.

“Creative.. But inefficient. Decrease shield refresh interval to ten picoseconds.”

After the demand was given, Superman’s next strike managed to incapacitate him and send him  hurtling toward the ground. As he crashed into the ground, Brainiac fired several energy beams from the skullship… leaving a burst of fire, rubble, and debris… A giant hole without any sort of hero…

Superman had gone missing.