When the world needs them Most

The remaining heroes all landed within the bottom of the crater where Superman was last seen before his supposed death. Supergirl had been sitting amongst some rubble, giving up  after she had searched for his body… He was nowhere to be seen…

She couldn’t see him. She couldn’t even hear his heartbeat…

“I.. I was supposed to protect him.. From Brainiac.. From you..” Kara grieved, hardly bothering to face Batman as he approached her. “He’s gone.. You win…” Kara hit her head against her arms to try and hide her tears… "Probably the best news you heard all day.."

She expected the dark knight to move on.. Hold on  celebrating the victory.. To goad her into giving  him a reason to imprison her as well…

“I’ll.. I’ll miss him too..” Batman admitted, hanging his head…

Such a gesture surprised Kara, who turned to face him a bit as her eyes widened ever so slightly… “You… You mean that..?”

“He was a good friend once.. The best man I have ever known.. I trusted him with my own life.” Batman began, walking closer to the last daughter of krypton...  “But the Joker got to him. I wasn’t there to stop him… I lost my best friend on that day, and… and I’ve missed him ever since…” Bruce admitted, attempting to console Kara with his own view on the man known as Clark Kent… Kara’s gaze softened, hearing the honesty and grief in his voice helping her see the bigger picture…

Before the two could continue, a boom tube opened nearby. Cyborg, Green Lantern, and Aquaman approached them through the portal…

“Atlantis is gone. All because I didn’t listen… Now we all die together.” Arther lamented with a grim and regretful tone.

No one is giving up yet. Has anyone heard anything from Beetle or Firestorm?”

“This is your fault, Bruce! Kal and I would have beaten Brainiac. You should have followed our lead.” Diana chided. Kara shoved Diana back, demanding that she knock it off.

“Stop it Diana! Millions of people are trapped on that ship. We have  to save them!” Kara shouted…

“... Not with him.”

Sudden;y, everyone’s attention was brought to a projection… An image from the invader, and the abductor himself… Brainiac.

“Such a disappointment… No wonder humans were never able to expand their civilizations beyond the confines of this tiny planet.” He chided.

“Are you here just to gloat?”

”My betas are taking position all across your planet. In one hour, they will simultaneously combust, reducing this planet to nothing more than a burning moon. Unless… You surrender Kara Zor-El… She is Krypton’s last survivor. My last opportunity to witness the effect yellow kryptonite may have on Kryptonian cells… Surrender her, and your world will be spared.”

“Even if you’d honor that deal, We wouldn’t take it.” Batman stated boldly, standing between Brainiac and Kara…

“... You have one hour to reconsider.” was all Brainiac said before the image vanished… leaving the heroes to try and plan something out.

“Thanks.. For giving me a chance…” Kara muttered quietly. “But.. Maybe I should go with him…” She contemplated.

“No. We’ll find a way to take down Brainiac’s shields. We have to” Batman stated. At that very moment, the league brainstormed potential ideas...