Chapter Eight - Kingston Has No Kings Or Queens

I want to go back in time and stop myself from being an idiot. Or maybe I wasn't being an idiot. I was just trying to save dad and I from a fate that promised us without a place to call home. No food to eat or bed to sleep in. I was so naive to think that a single lie was all it took. No, this is for life it seems like. There's no escaping whatever tragedy I've brought upon myself.

   Based on Ethan Lexington, Caleb is an evil man. I don't see that though. At least not yet. Dad got a raise because of him, moving into an actual office instead of scrubbing toilets. When his friends come over, they don't bully him anymore. I suppose it's because dad's got a new car: a Ferrari. His dream car. We're planning on fixing up the house too. Dad wanted to move and get a bigger property, but we can't leave. No matter how hollow these walls may feel. In essence, for these past few days, Caleb has been there for us through and through.

   I wish I could say the same for Mateo. I've been wanting to talk to him all week, but he's been missing in action. I need answers. Like who is his uncle when me or my father aren't around? He can't really give us all this stuff without expecting anything in return, right?

   I suppose tonight I'll get my answers because the day has suddenly fallen upon us. Dinner with Caleb Gonzales and his family. No doubt I'll see Mateo there. However, I'm nervous. I'll be in the lion's den filled with hungry predators and I'm sure a couple of commoners like dad and I would be just what they'd need to fill themselves up.

   "Let's go, Quince! The limo is out front already."

   I'm staring at myself in the mirror when dad's voice pulls me out of my thoughts. I haven't looked this pretty since mom's funeral where I caked my puffy eyes beneath foundation and concealer. Today isn't any different. I feel like I'm hanging on by a thread and anything could add weight onto my shoulders, making me fall and spiral into the void of my darkest thoughts.

   I can't let that happen. At least not tonight.

   The ride to dinner is fairly quiet. Just soft beats from the speakers can be heard. It's almost relaxing until we pull up to the house. A mansion, really. It's beige exterior is illuminated by lights hidden in the garden that encircles the building. The limo stops in front of stairs that lead up to the entrance of Caleb's home. As I get out of the car, I spot him almost immediately. As if he were a ghost appearing out of nowhere. Mateo Dela Cruz. He looks different and it's not because of his slicked back hair or suit. It almost looks like his skin is glowing despite how gloomy his expression is.

   "Are you wearing makeup?" I ask once I've reached him at the top of the steps.

   My comment makes him smile just for a second, but it's enough to put me at ease. "It's just my natural beauty, thank you very much. You don't look too bad yourself. That dress though. Where'd you buy it from? Shein?"

   "I'll have you know that I got this from Macy's, dickhead. Where'd you get your fit from? The trash?"

   "No. From Gucci actually." I suck my teeth, annoyed.

   Dad finally joins us, stopping beside me. "Mateo."

   "Reece."

   Okay, since when have they been on first name bases and what's with this hostility I'm feeling between the two of them? Well, this just adds more onto the list of things that I need to ask Mateo. Without another word, dad slips into the house. I shoot Mateo a curious glance. He just shrugs and holds out his arm for me to take.

   "You have a lot of things to explain." I say as I take hold of his biceps.

   We walk into the house together. It's all breathtaking. Paintings cover the walls as if this were some sort of art gallery. The floor is pretty and waxed. So much so that I can see my own reflection through it. The furniture is unique and pristine with designs I'd never think to imagine. And the best part of it all? The dining room. It's large with glass doors lining the perimeter; curtains drawn to bring in the glow of the setting sun. There's a long table in the center, coated with tray upon tray of too much food and delectables to name. Something smells savory while another smells sweet. My stomach rumbles beneath the chatter of the guests that circle the room, but no one has made a move to sit.

   I gulp and tighten my hold on Mateo's arm. "Do I really look horrible?"

   "You look a lot better than you usually do at school."

   "Flattering." I scowl, just about ready to gauge his eyes out with my bare fingers. "I could say the same for you."

   He smiles all big and wide now. "I'm just kidding. You look beautiful. You always do."

   Alright, well now he's doing too much backtracking. I'm sure he doesn't mean it. I have no time to overthink about it anyways because we're walking through the crowd. Mateo introduces me to aunts, uncles, cousins, and nieces; stopping here and there for small talk. Finally, we've made our way to the garden where I can breathe more steadily. My mind is no longer a hazy mess with this fresh air entering in and out of me.

   "Listen," I say, turning to him, "there's something I really need to talk to you about."

   He looks down at me wearily. "What's wrong?"

   "It's about your uncle." His face goes dark instantly and I can tell that he doesn't want to talk about anything to do with Caleb, but I don't care. I need to know what the hell I've gotten myself into. "When you gave me the check, you said that all I needed to do was lie about one little thing, but now I can see that it's more than that."

   "I don't want to talk about this right now, Quince. Let's go back inside."

   "No, Mateo. I need answers. A reporter visited me a couple of days ago--"

   "What? Who?"

   "That's not important--"

   "It is! Who was it?" I blink. Not because of the sternness in his voice, but the fear in his eyes. It is a look far worse than when his uncle is around and that scares me.

   "I can't remember his name." I lie. I don't know why I'm protecting that Ethan dude. Maybe it's because some part of me can't help but suspect that if Mateo or Caleb ever feel threatened, they'll make sure a little thorn in their path is moved out of the way for good. God knows that I can't afford more people dying in my life right now. "He told me that Ugine Solvang -- the man who tried to kill me -- is dead. He was murdered by a man I last saw with Caleb at his gym."

   He's working his jaw as he stares down at me. I can't tell what's going through his mind and it's absolutely killing me, so I keep pushing hoping to tip him over enough to spill whatever secrets lie beneath his skull.

   "I know that your uncle had something to do with it. You tell me stuff, but it's not the full truth. Like with the wine cellar at the gym. There's something down there that you're keeping from me. And the necklace at school. You said in your family, everything that you do and say has weight. What does that even mean? I need to know, Mateo. I need to know what you dragged me into."

   "Maybe I can be of some assistance?"

   My body goes rigid at the sound of his voice. I see Mateo has gone pale as well as he gazes to a place beyond me. Slowly, I turn around, coming face-to-face with the devil himself. Caleb Gonzalez. He wasn't meant to hear any of it, but there he stands. Hands tucked into the pockets of his dress pants as he gazes at both Mateo and I without a hint of anger or rage in his eyes. He's just smiling all big and wide as if everything that I've said was just some dumb, big joke.

  "Quince Delco, come and walk with me. Dinner starts in ten minutes. I'm sure that'll be more than enough time for us to trade information, don't you agree?"