Chapter Fifteen - Reality Is Hard To Come By

I'm having a deja vu moment.

   The sun is streaming through the cracks in the blinds, birds sing an obnoxiously loud melody outside, I feel like absolute shit, and Mateo is seated at the desk across from me, boredly tossing a ball up into the air before catching it.

   "Did you know that you snore?"

   I grind my teeth in annoyance and regret it instantly because it makes my head hurt for a split second.

   "What time is it?" I groan.

   "It's 10 AM. And don't worry. Isa slept in too. She went to sleep late last night because she really wanted to watch Princess Cuddles with you, but my mom said you were exhausted so she let you sleep. Also, she made you dinner. I ate it though. Sorry. But I made you breakfast so you're not allowed to be mad."

   "...thanks—"

   "Okay, fine. I ate your breakfast too, but so did Isa. So if you're going to be mad at me, you have to be mad at her too. Also I lied about the time. It's not 10 AM. It's 11 AM. Well, actually it's 12 PM. So, that means it's lunch time. What do you like? Pizza? I'm only asking because we ordered it already and left you a slice or two—"

   "You ate it."

   "I did." He nods his head slowly. "I eat when I'm stressed."

   "Good to know." I groan as I slowly sit up.

   "Oh no, no, no." Mateo says, dragging his chair over to my side of the room to gently push me back down into the bed. "You've got to rest."

   "I'm fine."

   "Uh, I don't think so. I didn't really want to say anything earlier, but you look like shit."

   "Thanks." I say sarcastically. "I didn't notice."

   He suddenly traces the back of his index finger along my brow, sending goosebumps down my arms. A frown forms at his lips as he scans my face. "Honestly, Quince. What happened?"

   I let out a sigh. "It's a long story."

   "I've got all day."

   "Well, I don't.

   He leans back in his chair, face emotionless as he stares blankly at me while his finger taps against the armrest of his chair. Guilt washes over me suddenly and I instantly regret being rude. It's not like me at all, but for some reason my emotions have gotten the best of me. Mateo is worried and he wants answers that I'm not willing to give because thinking about how I got my face messed up makes me want to cry and Mateo is the last person I want to cry in front of.

   "You confuse me." He says suddenly.

   "What?"

   He just shakes his head and turns towards the window, peering outside yet looking so hopelessly trapped within his own mind at the same time. The sun strikes his face in all the right places, giving him a soft glow.

   "Hey," I say as I sit up slowly, but he doesn't react; probably way too lost in thought. I place my hand on his knee, causing him to turn to me. "Are you okay?"

   He laughs. "You're lying in my guest room with a black eye and you're asking me if I'm okay?"

   "Don't patronize me." I frown, embarrassed and begin to pull away from him when he reaches out and takes my hand in his.

   "I'm not. I just want to know what happened, Quince. And I know that you're still mad at me. You have every right to be, but if Carter put his hands on you because of me—"