Chapter Twenty-Two - The Unbecoming Of A Juvenile

"So, is it true? Are you and Carter back together?"

   "Of course they are. No matter how much she denies it, she can't hide the facts. I saw them together this morning. They were practically making out."

   Avana Felix and June Westborough don't know when to take a break. They thrive off of gossip and drama much like Willow and Jennifer, but a hundred times worse. Even during English class, they couldn't refrain from asking me questions about my love life. I wasn't surprised when Mateo dashed off after class leaving me to fend for myself against the annoying duo.

   I stop in my tracks and the girls slam into me. I stagger forward, almost falling, but catch myself against a set of lockers. They mutter apologies, quick to straighten me and make sure I'm okay, but I'm pissed and shove them away.

   "Leave me alone!"

   I don't mean to sound so forceful and rude, but there are only so many irritating people I can handle in a day. I don't even bother to apologize, knowing that it'll fall on def ears. They have their story for today. Hell, the whole week! The witch of Kingston High has returned. But I'm not a witch. Maybe I used to be…okay, I definitely used to be, but not anymore. I've changed since then.

   In the cafeteria I spot Mateo at his usual table by himself. I know that we had a miscommunication earlier today that resulted in him giving me the silent treatment, but I still want to sit with him. I still want to talk to him and try to clear up the air.

   As I approach him, his eyes lift from his laptop as if sensing me. I wave shyly, stupidly, and then I feel thin fingers close around my wrist.

   "This way, Quin." Willow says, directing me in the opposite direction. "We have to go over what we're planning on wearing to the party. Latoya Thomas will not one up me."

   "I told you that I'm not going. I can't."
She just rolls her eyes. "Anyone who is anyone will be there, Quin. You can't just not go."

   "I wasn't even invited. Plus, I have plans."

   She spins to look at me, her eyes are like steel. "You know you don't owe the Cruz's anything, right? Absolutely nothing."

   "It's not about owing anyone." I mumble, but she doesn't hear me and continues onward.

   At the table Alex rises, face flushed and brow drawn.

   "Oh God, Alex. Sit down." Willow says, openly annoyed.

   He doesn't listen to her and walks off. I pull my arm out of Willow's hold and go after him. I think that it's time that I clear up the air with Alex and figure out exactly what I did wrong to him. Plus, I don't feel like talking about clothes at the moment.

   "Hey, wait up!" I shout, but he doesn't slow and I don't stop.

   I have to jog to catch up with him. His glare is like ice. I feel it pierce through me, making me slow. I don't know if it's fear that I'm feeling right now or anger. It's probably both, but I'm kind of tired of him treating me like shit.

   "What's your problem?"

   "You are." He answers quickly, spinning on his heels to face me. "You and your little boyfriend. You both ruined my life. Cater wants nothing to do with me now and it's all because you had to involve his uncle. You couldn't just fight your own battles, huh, Quince."

   "What are you even talking about?" I can barely get the words out before he has a vice-like grip on my arm. I think my bone is about to snap in two when he pulls me into an empty classroom, shoving me into a desk that topples over when I crash into it. Now I'm scared, panting as he towers over me.