Chapter Nine - We Hide Our Broken Plates Beneath The Table

I force myself to not look back at Mateo. I can still feel his eyes burning into the back of my skull as I walk side-by-side with Caleb further and further away from him and prying ears. My stomach no longer grumbles with hunger, but it dances with nerves instead. This is not at all how I planned this would go. I thought I'd speak to Mateo about this. Surprisingly, he seems so much more approachable out of school. I suppose life never fails to shock me, so I shouldn't be surprised now.

   "You and my nephew have gotten close since the shooting." I wouldn't say close, but I don't disagree though. A breathy chuckle leaves my mouth instead as I nod my head because words are hard to come by all of a sudden. "I'm glad, really. Mateo has trouble making friends and I'm just happy that it's you that he's chosen to get close to. You will be a great example to him, I'm sure."

   I blink because that's not the words I'm expecting to hear from Caleb. Me? An example to Mateo? An example of what? To not have a blabbermouth without first making sure that there are no prying ears listening in on a private conversation? Sure, I'll be an example of what not to do. Apparently, I'm really good at that.

   "What do you want to be after high school, Quince?"

   I shrug. "I'm not really sure."

   He smiles softly. "Has Mateo ever told you what he wants to be?" I shake my head. "A businessman. Like me. When he graduates, he'll be my full-time apprentice. I am happy to pass on my legacy to him."

   "That's great, I guess."

   "It's wonderful, really. It took me years to build this family name. It is a good name. We help people in need. Just a couple of years ago, Hilstons' Pizzeria was on the brink of bankruptcy. We invested in them and now they're the most popular pizzeria to visit in the tri-state. We've donated to families and charities. We help people, Quince."

   "Like me and my dad."

   "That's right. Like you and your dad. However, you're different. You see, Quince, I took notice of you that day in the hospital. How quick you were to hide the fact that you were given a million dollars for your silence. Your own father has been left in the dark about that little deal and I have no intention of ever revealing it to him. Since then, I've seen something in you that -- if nourished and properly cared for -- can turn into something incredible. It's a drive that I once had in myself at a young age. I still have it. Self preservation."

   It's like something ignites within me. I don't know why, though. It's natural for humans to want to survive. However, Caleb makes it sound like this spectacular thing. Like some sort of super power.

   "Quince, we are very much alike, you and me. I can't help but see so much of myself in you and I hope with time you'll see it as well." He takes in a deep breath before revealing his next few words. "It's not all the time that I do this, but I'm doing it now. I want to...invest in you. I mean really invest. I take you under my wing as I have Mateo. I teach you how to gain generational wealth so that you and your father will never be in the clutches of poverty ever again."

   This conversation went into a completely different direction than I originally thought it would go. Despite the suddenness of it all, it sounds amazing. However, it can't be that easy. If I've learned anything these past few weeks it's that nothing actually comes for free when it involves Caleb.

   "What do you want me to do?"

   He smiles. "I need you to believe that I'm the good guy."

   I blink once, twice, thrice before my brain is able to comprehend his words. "No. No, there has to be something more that you want from me."

   He places a hand on my shoulder.  "You want to owe me a favor? Fine, but it is one that I'll redeem at a future time. For now, just trust me. I have plans, Quince, and I can't wait for you to find your place in them. We're family now. I protect you and you protect my legacy."

   "Don't you think you're putting a bit too much faith in me?"

   "Possibly. However, there's one thing I think I know about us, Quince. We both like information and right now, neither of us are done with the other just yet."

   I'm not an open book. At least, I don't believe that I am one. However, Caleb has been able to read me so perfectly with his eyes closed. As if he has me all figured out before I've even gotten the chance to know him. This doesn't give me answers to some of my questions, but it's a start.

   "Let's discuss further some other time. Dinner starts in three minutes and we wouldn't want to be late." He turns his back towards me, pausing to say his final peace for the evening. "Remember, Quince, reports like Ethan Lexington only know the information that we give them."