Chapter Twenty-Nine - Down The Rabbit Hole

I think I've curated enough traumatic experiences to last me a lifetime. Like I can't process being in a hospital anymore. The brain fog comes instantly when I walk through those glass doors. The walls are too white, making my eyes hurt. Each hallway smells the same. Like antiseptic. The scent brings up too many horrible memories. The next thing I know, we're in his room. Alex's face is a blur. Just skin and tubes and hair that looks grey in this lighting. There's beeping from the machine next to his bed. Jennifer fans her wet cheeks by the window. Carter is nowhere to be seen. Willow talks to Alex by his side as if he can hear her. As if he's still alive.

   But he is alive. That's why I'm here and not in jail yet. He's lucky and so am I.

   It feels like forever before I feel like myself again; far away from the hospital and the boy who I put in there. Willow's house is familiar, comforting, and safe. As long as the witch is gone, it'll always be that way.

   On the beanbag chair in her room, I stare at my glittery toenails. They glisten and gleam against the pink hue illuminating from the lights above.

   "Latoya is literally never going to recover from this." Willow says from her spot on the bed. She holds her cellphone above her head, thumb scrolling along the screen.

   Jennifer walks out from the bathroom with wet hair sticking to her cheeks and neck. "Give us the deets."

   "What is there to give, Jenny? We literally lived through the details. It was traumatic for everyone who experienced it and it'll be traumatic for Latoya when she gets thrown in jail for the distribution of drugs and alcohol to minors." Willow grins wickedly, eyes glowing. "I almost feel bad for her mother for raising such a shit daughter."

   "The poor girl has so much to learn about parties."

   "Yeah, like not to throw one at your house. Especially when you're planning on doing something illegal. Then again, with her status, I don't think she really had a choice."

   Jennifer laughs a little too forcefully, falling into place beside Willow on the bed. "You'd think that her mother would teach her a thing or two."

   "Tell me about it."

   Their voices trail off into a spiel of nonsense. I should've known that this was how this sleepover would go. I should've known that Willow's focus for the remainder of the night would be locked on the party. The last thing I want to do is go over the past twenty-four hours. I don't want to relive that nightmare.

   "You're awfully quiet, Quinny."

   I blink back into focus at the sound of Willow addressing me. She looks concerned, propping herself up with her elbow to get a good look at me. By her side, Jennifer smiles like she knows all of my secrets. Or maybe she's just happy to see me so out of my element. As if that's new.

   "I was just thinking." I answer truthfully.

   "Not about Alex, are you? He'll be fine."

   "Oh Willow, you're clueless. Our dear friend here is obviously thinking about that good for nothing Cruz. She's lovestruck."

   I roll my eyes. "Firstly, no. And secondly, I just don't feel like talking about the party or Latoya. Like you said, it was traumatic."

   "Okay, we don't have to talk about that." Willow says, exchanging glances with Jennifer. "How about we talk about Mateo instead. Since he's been brought up."

   I cringe at her words. "I'd rather not."

   "Quinny, I'm literally so worried about you, babes. I don't think that you understand just how dangerous Mateo and his family actually are."