Chapter Twenty-Six - People Repeat History

"Put the gun down." Mateo's voice is even and controlled, but he's afraid. I don't blame him. From the looks of it, Alex isn't in his right state of mind. None of us are, but Mateo and I are at least aware that we're both fucked if we aren't careful.

"I'm tired of all you rich bastards thinking that you've got the whole world wrapped around your fingers." He spits, eyes ablaze. "You get the girl. You get the happy ending. What about me? I get nothing...I get nothing. It's not fair."

My wound splits open again. I'm back at Marina's watching Valerie seconds before Ugine Solvang positioned his gun against her jaw. She sat rigid in defeat, ready for death. He ran out of bullets, sparring her life, but I know that Alex has bullets in his. There's enough anger in him to do a lot of damage tonight and no amount of luck will save me or Mateo this time. This is a battle of words and time now.

Mateo takes a step forward. "We can talk about this, Alex. Let's meet up with my uncle somewhere and--"

"You think I want to talk? You think that I'm stupid? He'll kill me if he ever found out that I pointed a gun at you, but he won't get that satisfaction. You don't get to have a happy ending, Mateo. You don't deserve to."

"And you do?" I ask. His gaze shifts back and forth between Mateo and I nervously. "You think that if you pull that trigger Carter will be yours again?"

"He'll never be mine regardless and it's your fault."

"Okay, fine. I'm sorry that I ruined your love life."

"You don't mean it. You're only apologizing because I have a gun pointed at your little boy toy."

"Then lower the gun so we can talk."

"Didn't I say I don't want to talk?!"

My lips snap shut and my body tenses at his sudden outburst. I can hear my heart beating wildly in my ears and my face grows warm as tears rise in my eyes.

"Alex," Mateo says, directing the boy's attention back to him. "Let's say you kill me. What next? Your life will be ruined. My uncle will never let you get away with this."

He shakes his head. "What else do I have to live for, Cruz? Like you said, my father is a corpse and the boy I love doesn't want me. My life isn't mine anymore, so why not end it when I end yours? I've actually been thinking about it for a while now: death. What do you think it's like?"

"I don't know." Mateo gulps, taking another step forward. "And I don't want to find out anytime soon."

I want to tell Mateo to stop walking forward. To stop putting himself closer towards immediate death, but my tongue feels heavy in my mouth. He keeps moving and Alex's index finger keeps twitching on the trigger. Don't shoot, don't shoot, don't shoot.

"I have the upper hand here." Alex says, his voice shaking. "You do whatever I want you to. Even die."

"Trust me. You don't want to do this."

"Oh, but I do." He smiles maliciously. "It's your turn to kiss my feet now. Go ahead and kneel down. Do what you forced me to do."

Mateo holds his hands in the air as he slowly kneels to the ground. He leans forward, edging towards Alex's scuffed sneakers when, in one swift motion, he snatches the gun out of his hold, sending it gliding across the room. The football player gets knocked down in an instant, bringing Mateo with him. They struggle on the floor for the upper hand, scratching, punching, and biting like animals.

My world sways as I urge my body off of the bed. When my feet touch the ground, Alex has Mateo pinned with his large hands around his neck and stubby fingers digging into his flesh. All of a sudden I'm desperate. I throw whatever is in my vicinity at Alex, but he remains diligent in suffocating Mateo to death. Next, I use my hand, slamming my fist down on his back using as much force as I can muster.