Chapter Sixteen - To The End Of Everything

No one can escape the spectacle that is Quince Delco. I am a walking amusement park and everyone's buzzing about the new attraction: my black eye.

   "I heard she fought off five guys at once."

   "I heard that she joined an underground boxing ring."

   Man, does nonsense travel fast. Honestly, I prefer this instead of people knowing the truth. And, despite Mateo, no one will ever know. Well, no one except for Willow that is. She is my ex-best friend after all. I used to tell her about every aspect of my life and shared my deepest, darkest secrets with her. She was a trusted ally before she became an enemy. Anyways, she knows and it isn't until third period when she pulls me into an empty classroom to talk.

   "You should've called me." She says immediately, leaving no room for small talk. "As soon as it happened. I should've been the first person on your mind."

   "Huh?"

   "It was so obvious! Drinking is a direct line to violence. Remember when you told me he hit your mom and I told you to be careful because he'd likely hit you too? Now look at this. Your poor eye. You know what? It's okay. I can make this all go away. I have a doctor up in Cambridge who is a wizard at making marks disappear. You know him. Dr. Ford. He was my best friend when I was dating Freddy. That asshole."

   This feels like before. Before my mom died, when we were close and relied on each other. We were practically sisters. Despite the nostalgia of being under Willow's wing, I can't ignore the seething anger that comes with the memory of my mom's car shooting out over the edge of that cliff. I can't shake away the look of emptiness in Willow's eyes as she drove off from the scene, leaving me screaming 'til my throat felt too raw—too sore to utter another sound.

   So I take a step back from her outstretched arms. Her face goes through a series of emotions at my action: guilt, embarrassment, and then finally annoyance.

   "I'm just trying to help you, Quince."

   "You're the reason my mom is dead. I don't want your help."

   She rolls her eyes. "I don't understand why I'm the only one to blame. You're the one who forced me to drive."

   "I didn't force you to do anything! I wanted to walk, but you insisted I get into your car!"

   Willow has always been composed to outside eyes, but there's no one else around but me. So, she crumbles beneath the weight of my words. Her eyes blink fast as if pushing back images that I know are fighting to be seen. "W-what do you want from me? I'm trying so hard to mend our bond and I know you think it was my fault—"

   "It was your fault, Willow!"

   No matter what I do or say, I can't pull her out of the blissful illusion of innocence she's created for herself. In Willow's mind she is a pure and noble princess who can do no wrong. I blame her parents for putting it into her head that she is an irrevocably perfect human being. She is everything but.

   "Quince." Mateo's voice penetrates through my thoughts. I'm thrown off for a second, until I turn towards the door and see him standing there with his eyes set and his face hard. Despite his solid stance, I notice a bit of hesitation in him. As if he isn't sure if he should intrude or not.

   "Hey." I say, giving him a slight nod.

   "Hi. Are you, uh…" he looks back and forth between Willow and I. "Are you okay?"

   Willow rolls her eyes. "Besides the black eye, does it look like she's hurt? Please tell your dog to wait outside, Quince."

   "Don't be disrespectful." I glare before turning a kind eye to Mateo. "I'm fine. Thank you."