Chapter Eighteen - In Gray Places We Wander

I must've drifted off to sleep somewhere on the cool tiled floor of the kitchen in between Mateo's arms, because when I open my eyes I find myself on a comfy bed in an unfamiliar room. I feel naked despite my clothes from yesterday clinging to my skin and a thick comforter wrapped around my body.

   Last night's events have drained me and the thought of getting out of bed feels daunting. Even as sunlight streams in through a naked window, blinding me for a fraction of a second. Even as the birds chirp a gleeful tune. Even as I watch the blue sky and follow clouds as they pass by out of view.

   The only thing that convinces me to get up is my growling stomach. I push the covers off my body and place my feet on the soft, white carpet. Looking around the room, I notice that it's practically empty with little to no decorations. The only thing that brings color to the nude room is the salmon colored clock on the wall above the dresser to my left. The time reads 11:46AM. I've basically missed school at this point which is sort of a relief to me because being in those crowded hallways with people who don't know how to mind their business makes me sick to my stomach and the fact that I get to be away from it all is a blessing.

   I stand, feeling lightheaded for only a second before making my way to a door leading into a bathroom to my right. I'm quick to undress and step into the shower, washing away any soreness from my muscles. In front of the mirror, I brush my teeth and comb my fingers through my tangled braids until they look satisfactory. There's clean clothes at the base of the bed when I exit the bathroom. I slip them on without a second thought before leaving the room.

   In the kitchen a chef cooks something delectable. The pan on the stove sizzles and hisses with each thrust of the spatula in his hand as he works his magic. My tongue feels too heavy in my mouth, so I don't say good morning. Instead, I walk past the living room where Mateo lies asleep on the couch with an opened book hugging his chest and slip on my shoes at the door. I turn the nob and exit the house as silently as possible.

   My feet take me to a cafe not too far from the luxury apartment complex. It's warm interior feels inviting. Like home if my house was ever a home to begin with. I order a coffee and a cream cheese bagel at the register. Once my food is in my hands, I turn to find an unoccupied space where I can spend my time idly when I notice a familiar face across the shop. Hooded eyes, a pointed nose, and thin lips that dip down into a scowl; Derek looks so much different than the first time I saw him that afternoon a few days ago with Caleb.

   I want to approach him, but he's sitting with someone and I'm not one to interrupt. Then, he notices me and I don't expect him to regard my presence with fear. Still, I wave with my coffee in my hand. He doesn't wave back. Just mumbles something to the person he's sitting with who turns to face me as well and now I'm shocked. Baffled, really because that's the Creakster Daily writer he's sitting with. Ethan Lexington.

   I approach them. Derek stands and grabs his jacket off the back of his chair before rushing for the side door behind him. I let out a frustrated scowl, ready to retreat back to the complex to tell Mateo everything in hope's that he can clear this all up when Ethan stands from his seat.

   "Quince Delco," he smiles, unfazed by my presence. "It's been too long."

   "Not long enough." I mumble. I still remember when he threatened me at the public library. I remember the way his eyes held a pit of rage so fierce, it made me feel sick for the remainder of the night. Despite Caleb's true colors being shown, turning to Ethan still doesn't sit right with me. Even so, I have to ask, "what were you and Derek talking about?"

   His smile widens. "Nothing important. Nothing that you might be thinking."

   "I'm not thinking anything."