Chapter Twenty-One - All These Dotted Eyes & Crossed Tees

Clouds roll by through the sweeping breeze for days on end. The sun hides behind the ice crystals suspended in the air. And when they're not in the way of our gigantic star, it still feels cold. Winter is coming and I don't need the freezing wind on my cheeks to tell me so.

    I can tell by the way the branches of trees are mostly bare and the leaves crunching beneath my shoes have started to decompose into the soil, turning brown and ugly. Birds are starting to hoard together, ready to migrate to a warm climate. I watch them perched on top of power lines as I walk to school. The sound of their chirps drown out debilitating thoughts from swimming through my mind. Even though I despise these creatures, they're pretty interesting to watch.

   At school I bump into Willow who links her arm around mine like a snake, flashing me her pearly white teeth. Jennifer stays to her side, not moving an inch to approach me. I've noticed how distant she's gotten these past few days. Even Alex who seeps into the shadows whenever I approach the group. I like to think I understand his disdain, but I don't. I have no clue what I've done to Alex that makes him hate me so much he can barely stand in my presence.

   "I went to your house today to pick you up, but you weren't there." Willow says, frowning.

   I can't count on my fingers the amount of times I have to remind her that I don't live with my dad anymore. "I moved, remember?"

   "Where though?"

   "Maybe I'll show you one day." It's not a lie, but it's also not the truth. Mateo's apartment is a safe haven for us both; a shield against the outside world. Plus, it keeps me far away from Caleb and his listening devices. Having Willow over will suck away any ounce of comfort left within the walls of the apartment that Mateo didn't take with him when he left.

   "Mhm. Guess who's here?" She asks, changing the subject when my answer doesn't satisfy her.

   I shrug, not really caring. Willow looks surprised by my nonchalant attitude, but doesn't say anything about it. We're walking towards my locker, but she directs me in the opposite direction, turning right instead of left at the intersection.

   "Willow…"

   "Quince."

   "Where are you taking me?"

   "It's a surprise!"

   I hear Jennifer sigh loudly behind us. When I look over my shoulder at her for answers, she shoots me a glare and lowers her eyes. I'm starting to get tired of her attitude.

   My annoyance at Jennifer quickly goes away when my eyes land on Carter. He stands tall and large against the sea of students, easy to spot in the distance. He leans against a set of lockers, texting away on his phone. I watch the way he lifts his head slowly as if sensing our presence. The blueness of his eyes meet my brown ones and a light blush settles on his face. I want to gag on the emotion rising up in my chest. They burn against my heart, hungry for attention.

   "Hey," Carter says. His voice sounds deep and hoarse and familiar.

   Despite our dating history, I can't ignore my anger at him. I can't ignore the hell that he's put me through, but it wasn't only him. It was Willow too and here she is clinging onto my arm as if we've always been friends. Jennifer and Alex were bullies to me as well and even though they regard me in an unpleasant way, I know they're slowly trying to adjust to the mended bridge of our friendship. I missed them. All of them. No matter how horrid they've been to me.

   "Hi," I reply. My voice doesn't sound like mine when I speak.

   "Long time no see."

   God, I hate small talk.